Astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.
- Volvo acquired the plant in Olofström, founded as early as 1735.
- And inertial-reel seat belts were fitted as standard in passenger cars.
- The Volvo Truck division was formed in early 1969.
- The forest machine, SM868, was introduced this year and became a market success the following year.
- Until mid 60's the Volvo mid engined chassis was primarily city bus chassis. The situation changed when the B58 was introduced as a tourist coach with a Van Hool body.