Volkswagen set a new record for the number of cars produced in the same series; 1,007,003 vehicles.
- Volvo needed a smaller car and acquired the Dutch DAF Cars Corp.
- Pehr G Gyllenhammar formulated Volvo's very first environmental declaration.
- Volvo Experimental Safety Car (VESC) signalled Volvo's intention of developing cars with the highest possible standards of safety.
- In spring 1972 Volvo opened the Volvo Technical Centre, known as VTC.
- A extra heavy-duty model of Volvo's road graders was introduced, the VHK510.
- New truck plant was opened in Australia. Acquisition of a truck plant in Scotland was made.