The Volvo Penta vision is to be the world leader in sustainable power solutions, and world-leading supplier of engines and complete powers systems for marine and industrial applications. We have a history of innovation and enjoy strong market positions based on our current product and service offer with customers in over 130 countries around the world. Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for marine and industrial applications – both at land and sea.
The Product & Customer Support Department for Volvo Penta Region Americas (VPA)—headquartered in Chesapeake, Virginia—is responsible for technical support, warranty administration and consumer relations for gasoline and diesel engine products for OEMs, power centers, boat dealers and end users. Distribution of technical information, authorization of major warranty repairs, claim and registration processing, and resolution of end user issues are the major functions of this department.
We are now looking for a Technical Specialist to join our amazing team here in Chesapeake!
What is the Job?
In this role, you will responsible for responding to and managing requests for technical support and information from Volvo Penta dealers, OEMs, customers, and internal personnel regarding application, troubleshooting and repair of all Volvo Penta Marine and Industrial engines, electric and hybrid drive systems, transmissions and control systems via CRM, telephone, email, or other electronic communication.
Some of your core responsibilities will include:
- Providing authorized dealers with product technical and diagnostic support for all Volvo Penta marine and industrial product lines including engines, electric and hybrid drive systems, transmissions and electronic control systems.
- Authorizing warranty repairs in compliance with policies and respond to requests for technical and/or general information from Dealers, OEMs, Customers, and internal VPA personnel to support customer satisfaction.
- Identifying trends in product quality and provide data to support quality improvement initiatives through the local QAC (Quality Action Committee), as well as the Global QR (Quality Report) and QJ (Quality Journal) process.
- Maintaining a comprehensive and up-to-date technical knowledge of all new and existing Volvo Penta products and all applicable electronic diagnostic tools.
- Serving as a go-to technical expert to new hires within the Customer Support & Training department, as well as other departments when needed.
- Assisting Customer Relations representatives with customer inquiries and escalations including in-depth technical analysis and diagnostics and when needed, direct interaction with retail customers
As a Volvo Penta employee you will be afforded the opportunity to work with some exceptionally skilled colleagues and experience some truly exciting challenges that will benefit you both professionally and personally.
Do you like troubleshooting and problem resolution?
To be successful in this role, we need someone who has expert level knowledge of troubleshooting and repair of gasoline, diesel, and electric and hybrid drive systems in marine and/or industrial power applications. We would like for you to be process driven as you will need to be able to work within existing processes to include actively identifying and implementing process improvements, as well as creating new processes when needed with the goal of improving efficiency and results within the team.
Having in-depth knowledge of retail marine leisure, marine commercial, and/or industrial service trade practices and activities via direct experience or extensive dealer interaction will give you an edge as will having knowledge of alternative powertrain technologies within a related industry such as electrification, hybrid technology, alternative fuels, and complementary systems related to connectivity, remote diagnostics, etc.
As with all of our positions here in Volvo Penta, you will need experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook as well as familiarity with diagnostic programs for troubleshooting.
As you will be directly responsible for relaying complex technical concepts and instructions when assisting our customers, excellent communication skills are necessary as is the need for fluency in speaking and writing English in order to communicate successfully with internal and external stakeholders at different levels of the organization.
This position requires:
- An Associate Degree or Certificate in Conventionally Fueled Engines, Electrified Powertrains, or Industrial Mechanics; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience with marine or industrial engine OEM, distributor, or dealer technical experience
- Strong mechanical expertise in troubleshooting, repair, overhaul and installation of marine or industrial products
- Experience with Volvo Penta products is preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish, English/Portuguese), a plus
Are you ready to join our team?
We are an outstanding, values-driven work culture… and our work is challenging and rewarding! We were recently awarded “A Great Place to Work” certification two years in a rows, and our employees can attest that Volvo Penta is a great place to work! We experience relationships built on trust and respect, change and innovation, passion, exceptional performance, and a strong commitment to customer success!
We also offer:
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Competitive compensation
- Generous Earned Time Off (ETO) plan
- 401K with matching
If you are interested in being part of a team focused on innovation and success, and feel that this opportunity is for you, we invite you to apply to become a Technical Specialist with our team. We look forward to meeting you!
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. Printed copies may not be the most current. Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who works with passion, trust each other and embraces change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We willen je leren kennen
Je ontvangt een bevestigingsmail dat we je kandidatuur goed hebben ontvangen. Je kan steeds je persoonlijk profiel updaten.