Are you interested in developing new technologies for advanced transport solutions? Does the opportunity to work in a global organization on an exciting journey towards a sustainable future excite you? Do you thrive on the prospect of leading and mentoring a team of highly skilled, passionate engineers?
If so, we have a great opportunity for you! Volvo Group North America is seeking a Group Manager to lead the Mack Medium Duty product engineering team at Roanoke Valley Operations (RVO) facility in Salem, Virginia.
Read on for more details!Who We Are
Our team, Mack Medium Duty (MMD) engineering, is an important part of the Group Trucks Technology function for Volvo Group Trucks North America. MMD develops and maintains components, systems, and complete chassis solutions for diesel, gas and electric vehicles for Mack Trucks in the North American market.
We take full ownership of the product and are accountable for everything we engineer from strategies to maintenance. We have high expectations to drive innovation and we put the customer at the center of everything we do. We have a culture of passion and trust, where we work together and support each other in our daily tasks. We drive our deliveries through close cooperation with our colleagues within various global technology streams, utilizing both the Volvo Group’s global Common Architecture and Shared Technology systems to enable the development of new offerings, products, and services, to meet the Mack Medium duty customers’ expectations.
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which are central our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance.
- We are obsessed with Customer Success.
- We initiate Change to stay ahead.
- We willingly place our Trust in each other.
- We have a huge Passion for what we do.
As Group Manager for Mack Medium Duty Engineering, you will lead a team of highly skilled and passionate engineers responsible for the development and installation of a wide array of components and systems in our vehicles (i.e. CAB, Chassis, Driveline, Powertrain Installation, Suspensions, Braking, Electrical Systems). You will take product ownership and lead development activities from strategies to maintenance for the Medium Duty vehicle components and systems, for ICE (internal combustion engines) and EV (electric vehicles).
As Engineering Group Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Leading, coaching, and developing a team of highly skilled Engineers
- Directing work in your team, providing direction, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Supporting your team in technical discussions to make the right technical choices.
- Working cross-functionally to develop, anchor and execute on project plans.
- Managing budget and resources, developing competence aligned with ECP (Engineering Career Path Dimensions), and recruiting new talents to meet current and future needs.
- Leading continuous improvement activities (process, tools, methods) and fostering innovation
- Managing interfaces towards other functions to support project deliveries and make daily operation more efficient.
- Delivering project activities on time and according to budget.
In this position, you will report to the Director of Mack Medium Duty Product Engineering & Range and take an active part in the leadership team to contribute to the overall development of the department.What We Are Looking For
You are an experienced leader with a ”can-do” attitude. You take initiative and have a desire for improvement. You actively encourage strong communication amongst your team and have a passion for developing people as well as technology. You are looking for a new challenge that will allow you to grow both personally and professionally.
Compensation & Benefits
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Mechatronic or Electrical Engineering, or related field. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- 8-12+ years of experience in Product Development within the automotive industry
- Leadership experience as a manager with direct reports is preferred.
- Additional experience in Project management of small to large projects, is also preferred.
- Strong technical knowledge and understanding of the market and its applications.
- Ability to build effective teams, maximizing each person’s contribution to achieve common goals.
- Effective communicator, able to provide a clear message and use compelling arguments to gain commitment.
- Can do-attitude and being resilient. Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Ability to drive cross functional and global network and overcome roadblocks.
- Accountable, well organized, analytical, business-focused, and holistic mind-set
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies.
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans.
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first.
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University.
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier.
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here.