Position Description Summary:
We are currently looking for a motivated and self-driven student to work within our Testing Technology department during the summer. Testing Technology is a department within Features, Verification and Validation (FVV), a group that works with testing and simulation of Complete Vehicles for Volvo Trucks and Mack Trucks in North America. The student should be prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment; gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of engineering. As a valued member of the Testing Technology Group within GTT, the student will have the opportunity to work directly with the Volvo Trucks Test Engineers. GTT’s goal is to contribute to the student’s development, as well as providing an opportunity for the student to work in a business environment within the manufacturing industry. This position will report directly to the Testing Technology Group Manager.
- The candidate will have a mentor assigned to them and oversee their daily tasks.
- The candidate will work directly with the test engineers focusing on the following items:
- Developing new test methods
- Improving the quality and reducing duration of current test methods
- Investigating new technology related to vehicle testing
- Creating wiring schematics for harness builds
- Fabricating custom harnesses and connectors for data acquisition equipment
- Troubleshooting of sensors and data acquisition systems
- Instrumenting trucks with sensors and data acquisition components
- It is preferable that the candidate have experience with the following:
- Matlab, Python or any other scripting language
- CAD software
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Data acquisition hardware and software
- Basic understanding of electronics
- Basic automotive mechanical and electrical knowledge
This internship will require 40 hours per week during the summer semester 2022. Interns will be expected to spend a large part of the time working in the Greensboro shop/office. However, due to the unpredictable nature of the ongoing pandemic, the manager may approve the intern to work a portion of their time from home. This internship will require location in Greensboro, NC for the duration of the internship.
Internship will run from May through August, 2022.
Essential Skills and Required Experience:
- Applicant must be currently enrolled and pursuing an Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies prior to the start of the internship.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 at the time of application.
- Strong communication skills and CAD experience is a plus.
- Proactively seeks knowledge and understanding of processes in AMT.
- Detailed oriented. Collects data and deliver detailed reports.
- Flexible. Willing to engage in a wide variety of tasks and positively accepts changes in priorities.
- Valid US Work authorization.
- Service oriented mindset
- Team player with the ability to adjust to new situations and stakeholder needs.
- Ability to work effectively with peers from all areas of the organization.
- Works with integrity and instills trust.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Engaged and proactively seeks knowledge.
- Ability to use various mechanic tools and lift up to 30 lbs.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify