The purpose of this position is to assist the cab factory manufacturing engineering department with assignments specific to manufacturing processes.
The internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a manufacturing environment, and to support/promote the graduate’s career goals through interaction with manufacturing engineering professionals. Interns participate in professional activities for the Volvo New River Valley Plant by working on practical, innovative and important projects. This Internship provides structured learning experiences where interns and our manufacturing engineering professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows student to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo New River Valley Plant.
- Assignment will begin January 10, 2022 and continue through May 6, 2022 working up to 30hrs per week on site.
- Review current labor standards identify and present ways to improve labor utilization, eliminating waste or non-value added work.
- Assist with developing and updating standardized work at each station and help implement lean manufacturing practices.
- Perform time studies on the shop floor using stopwatch and video.
- Learn and apply lean manufacturing principals within the cab factory welding and painting departments.
- The student needs to have intermediate Microsoft Excel skills for data analysis and creating graphs.
- The student will need to create Microsoft PowerPoint presentations for communicating work done throughout the summer and reporting on new project ideas.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Attention to Detail: Monitoring adherence to standards and actively checking for accuracy of data received or generated before passing it on
- Communication: listening effectively, transmitting information accurately and understandably and actively seeking feedback non-defensively
- Flexibility: performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Dependability/Reliability: Following through on commitments, producing timely work to promote a higher standard; pitching in to get the job done
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in industrial and systems engineer or mechanical engineering at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Student should have minimum GPA of 3.0
- Customer Focus
- Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity and Trust
- Standing Alone
- Action Oriented
- Time Management
- Availability for light travel
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify