This is us, your new colleagues
Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions.
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus, Volvo Penta, Dongfeng Trucks and Arquus.
We work cross-functionally and globally to exceed our customer’s expectations and reach the world class manufacturing level. We have exciting work in front of us, and more on the horizon. The automotive world is changing rapidly and to be part of this big change is an exciting movement. Many growth and countless career opportunities await for leaders who are willing to join our team on this challenging journey.
Want to learn more about Hagerstown?
We are the Heart. We develop and produce heavy-duty diesel engines, transmissions and axles for Volvo Group Brands. In operation since 1961, we are a proud supportive member of the community of Washington County and its surrounding areas.
We are looking for…
A Manufacturing Engineer who is responsible for supporting all Assembly Product Lines (Engines, Axles, Transmission & E-Mobility). The primary focus for this position will revolve around the traditional concepts of Lean Manufacturing / Continuous Improvement, more commonly known in Volvo as Workplace Organization (WPO).
The focal point of this position is to support production with the proper implementation of the various WPO concepts & principles. You will be expected to Coach, Mentor, explain the use of the various tools and support Production as necessary to ensure this is a daily way of working. Soft skills are key in this position as you will be interacting with 100’s of employees during this journey. Employee engagement and their participation is the foundation to our successful implementation of WPO. You will be supported by the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Director of VPS (Volvo Production Systems), VPS coaches, your Global team of Peers and the WPO Global Powertrain Coordinator.
Main Activities and responsibilities for this role
Reporting to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, this is a supporting role within the Goal Oriented Team (GoTeam). The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following…
- Co-Leading industrial projects, which can include new products, processes, and/or large modifications of the existing production lines.
- Utilization of the tools within the Volvo Production System and other lean initiatives to meet present and future demands as well as improve quality and safety.
- Developing solutions for production problems relating to materials, manufacturing processes and/or tooling.
- Acts as liaison between Engineering, Maintenance, Quality, and Production when necessary.
- Provide technical support and assistance with the development and improvement of methods, quality product design, cost, and technical issues of a complex manner as required.
- Responsible for Line Balancing, NVAA analysis & removal, using various lean tools to improve OLE, HPU’s and other dept. KPI’s.
- Time & Motion Analysis (AVIX).
- The ability to perform high-level problem solving using classical quality tools (5Y, 5W1H, 4M, etc.).
- Full understanding, demonstrated use and the aptitude to teaching the following concepts:
- 5S, 5T, Muri, Mura, Muda, Green/Golden Zone, MMH, SMED, TWTTP, VSM, Ergonomics, Yamazumi, Line Balancing, SOP’s, Station Classification, JIT, Flows/Sequencing, Material Handling Systems, Inventory Control, etc.
Additional benefits / responsibilities of this position:
- The Engineer will be connected to the Volvo global WPO network and represent our North American site.
- The Engineer will support 1 of 12 Pillar owners and have the responsibility of working within this framework.
- The Engineer will be a member of a WPO global think tank. All sites will share information and strategize the next steps of optimization for the company.
- The Hagerstown site has achieved gold level in terms of World Class Manufacturing standards, and you will drive to close the gap to achieving platinum level.
Critical Competencies and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ yrs experience of experience with regards to the implementing / coaching / leading teams with the implementation of lean systems and the aforementioned concepts.
- Deep understanding of general manufacturing KPI’s, Business Needs, Route Map Alignment & a full holistic understanding of how WPO connects to the Volvo success.
- Deep knowledge of advanced automation (AGC’s, AMR’s, AGV’s, Robots, Advanced Automation, etc.).
- Experience working in a Union environment (UAW).
- The ability to create Training materials & Templates for Lean Manufacturing / Workplace Organization processes.
- Proven experience of implementing WPO Programs i.e., 5S, AM, etc.
- High level use of Kaizen’s (Quick/Standard/Major/Advanced)
- Deep understanding of WCM Pillar methodologies & Logic (Safety, CD, FI, WPO, AM, PM, QC, Log, EEM, PD & Env.
- Experience using DOE, PPA, Regression and ANOVA analysis
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and demonstrated successful ability to build positive partnerships, while work collaboratively with cross-functional business teams.
- The demonstrated successful ability to organize and prioritize work to ensure timely deadlines.
- Ability to function at a high level of effectiveness, flexibility, independence, and initiative without daily interaction with the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
- Proficient computer skills required including Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Inventor, Time/Motion Software, etc.
- Ability to multitask at a high level.
- The ability to lead both small and large teams daily
- Excellent presenting / public speaking skills
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Toyota Production System / Volvo Production System Experience
- PMP Certification
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
- Lean Certification
Necessary technical/functional/language skills
- Proficiency in the English language is required
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify