The biggest challenge for companies today, is to respond to the technological innovations which are being developed at high speed, and to select those technologies which can bring added value for the company's business. Today, each and every company has become an IT company, and Volvo Group is definitely no exception. IT is present in all aspects of the production processes of our factories, in the delivery process of our distribution centers, and in the daily activities of our sales and services organizations.
With over 150 dedicated and highly skilled IT professionals located in Ghent (Oostakker), Group IT Belgium supports its customers to be best in class in the Truck business. Both the distribution center and the trucks assembly factory situated in Ghent are the largest ones to be part of the Volvo Group organization globally, offering endless opportunities to further develop your technical and personal competencies. For the biggest part however, Group IT Belgium is fully integrated in the global Group IT organization, allowing you to support and develop global solutions and deliveries for all the different business areas and brands of the Group in every corner of the world.
Manufacturing and Logistics Solutions (M&L) is a global unit within Group IT with the responsibility to ensure that all Volvo Group IT solutions and IT projects related to the manufacturing or logistics areas are well managed with a spirit of continuous improvement.
Solution Center Service Market Logistics is a function in M&L Solutions managing the IT solutions used by GTO Service Market Logistics (SML). They are responsible for spare parts availability for all Volvo Group brands and Business Areas.
The Solution Center”Service Market Logistics” is responsible for all deliveries related to solutions in its scope i.e. all the globally appointed IS/IT solutions for GTO Service Market Logistics and a set of local applications used in the warehouses.
The Solution Center has full responsibility for runtime (cost, quality of service) and for the delivery of projects.
It is supporting roadmap design and long term planning in its area. It is responsible for driving deliveries according to the agenda agreed with GTO SML Process & IT. Supply Central
The Supply Central team in SC SML is responsible for IT deliveries to SML in general, and to the Central Warehouse Ghent specifically, like the Warehouse Management Systems RHELP and SPIS and a set of local applications that support critical warehouse processes.
The team consists of Solution Leaders and Solution Experts, Delivery Managers and Delivery Leader, IT- and Software Architects and Business Analysts. We are now looking for a Software Engineer
You will be part of the team in Ghent and report to the Delivery Manager Supply Central. Role mission & context
The software engineer in Ghent is needed because there will be an increasing level of automation in the warehousing activities in the coming years.
The Warehouse in Ghent uses ‘backbone’-solutions (on mainframe, SAP, and other platforms), and many local applications (for Voice Directed Picking, Forklift Fleet Management, AGV’s etc, in house developed or purchased, primarily on Windows-environments).
As Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the solution design, development, maintenance, integration and support of such (local) solutions for the SML-organization, and specifically for the SML Central Delivery Center in Ghent.
You will be interacting with the business stakeholders in SML, with the solution management and with the IT-support functions in Group IT, for the solutions that support the Central Warehouse Ghent.
You will develop yourself into an ‘automation architect for warehouse operations’, starting from hands-on development activities, and growing your know-how and experience step-by-step.Key responsibilities
Critical competencies and skills for the position
- Design of new IT Solutions, primarily for the Ghent SML-organization, and participate in building and/or integrating these solutions (which are in house developed or purchased).
- Play an active role in the entire life cycle of the solutions; that includes
- Participate in projects to implement new solutions
- Act as business analyst, systemdesigner, (lead) developer, application DBA or tester as required, primarily in a Windows/.Net-environment
- Cooperate with our stakeholders in Infrastructure delivery
- Maintain solution documentation
- Provide business support for the portfolio of applications
- Participate in continuous improvement of the solutions (in terms of business process support, compliance with the corporate framework for master data and information model, application performance, stability and robustness)
- Contribute to defining and detailing change requests for the solutions
- Become an expert about the SML Ghent application-portfolio and the interfaces to the ‘backbone’- solutions, as well as to the automated devices on the shopfloor (AGV’s, automated storage devices, scanners etc.)
- University degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equal through experience
- Strong intrest in Logistics, Supply Chain and industrial technology; experience with warehouse operations is a plus, but you should be eager to learn about warehouse processes, ERP-functionality etc. so you can build a good understanding of both business and IT, allowing you to actively use IT to support the business.
- Complete proficiency in English is a requirement (speaking and writing)
- Ability to understand how business processes, solutions and interfaces are connected
- Ability to quickly become a professional .Net-developer
- Ability to work in a project-structure, i.e. people can count on you and on your deliveries
- Good communication skills (in speaking and writing, for technical documentation but also for user-training, and for international cooperation with peers)
- Demonstrate a good ability to network and teamwork
- Be target oriented
- Be eager to understand the bigger picture
- You get an opportunity to work together with highly skilled colleagues in an interesting, global environment (with contacts in Belgium, Sweden, France, and India…) giving opportunities to develop both professionally and personally.
- You will be a key player to develop, implement and support the Central Warehouse IT-solutions, and you will work closely with the warehouse operations. You will get regular opportunities for training and education, and you will be stimulated to develop yourself continuously, through classroom or virtual trainings as well as self-study and on-the-job training.
Application screening will start immediately; we look forward to receiving your application as soon as possible.