The Tooling and Equipment Engineering team is part of the Manufacturing Engineering Department at the Mack Trucks Lehigh Valley Operations (LVO) facility. This department is responsible for assembly process development, tooling development and maintenance, Industrial and product change project management, and investigation and execution of industrial strategy for the factory. As a tooling engineer, you will have continuous opportunities to work cross-functionally both within the engineering department and with other functions such as logistics engineering, safety, and environment, production, and Quality. These interactions are not only critical to the success of tooling and equipment projects but are also a great opportunity to grow and develop as a tooling engineer and contributor to business goals.
Many growth opportunities await engineers who are willing to join our team. We are actively working to establish teams that will take maximum advantage of our differences in knowledge, experience, age, gender, and nationality. Our DNA is built upon our Mack Production System (Lean) and our Mack Values (Customer Success, Trust, Passion, Change, and Performance) are guiding us to continue to succeed in this industry.
About the Position
Tooling and Equipment Engineering is a team of engineers responsible for supporting current and future assembly operations with all required tooling and equipment to facilitate safe and efficient assembly of the Mack Truck product. This team works closely with the production engineering team of process specialists, safety and ergonomic experts, production technicians, production leaders, maintenance team, and indirect purchasing team to bring world-class tools to create the safest work environment for our workforce. The group works to develop and deploy five main types of solutions that are fastening tools, lifting devices, material supply carts (ground handling), fixtures and assembly aids (tool design), and automated equipment. The tooling engineer’s role is very dynamic and requires extremely efficient communication with stakeholders and project management skills to plan activities and track progress.
This position is located at the Mack Trucks Cab and Vehicle Assembly plant in Macungie, PA. Due to the necessity for face-to-face interaction with stakeholders both on the plant floor and in an office setting, and the need to be able to observe assembly processes in person, the qualified candidate will not be able to work remotely.
Main activities and responsibilities for this role
- Implement tooling and equipment changes with a “zero disturbance” mindset in operations.
- Development of tooling solution in collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders, gather inputs and work cross functionally to develop tooling and equipment to support safe and efficient assembly of trucks
- Faciliate and participate in product and industrial projects to lead needs of tooling and equipment and co-ordinate procurement.
- Establish robust collaboration with maintenance team in development of technical solutions to problems with existing equipment and work with maintenance team in the development of tooling and equipment standards to ensure new equipment design incorporates best practices from previous learnings.
• Promote manufacturing safety, ergonomics, and efficiency through the implementation of tooling and equipment.
• Establish and maintain the optimum tooling and equipment standards and best practices within the competency area.
• Participate and support in early phases of product and industrial projects with in-depth knowledge of tooling and equipment, requirements, cost information, and business cases for tooling and equipment improvements.
• Active participation in the global competence area network and work collaboratively with production engineering team to implement GTO standards for tooling and equipment and best practices in the plant.
• Actively participate in all pillars of Mack Production System and follow Early equipment managment priciples, utilize a structured approach and tools within MPS to identify and implement optimal tooling and equipment solutions.
• Assist with necessary coaching and training of other in tooling engineering to share multiple competence area.
Critical competencies and experience
• Displays professional behavior, positive attitude, and proactive mindset always.
• Proven ability to visualize future opportunities, plan action items, and lead the team towards successful completion of company objectives.
• Problem Solving/Decision Making: Taking a well-ordered approach to solving problems and acting despite obstacles, resistance, or ambiguity.
• Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to manage change.
• Proven experience in taking initiative, driving improvements, taking additional responsibilities, thinking outside the box, and going the extra mile.
• Substantial knowledge of engineering concepts, manufacturing, the product, production standards, and efficiency optimization tools.
• Project management skills and preferable knowledge of DVP, PSM, and EEM models.
• Proven ability to react to issues impacting production with a sense of urgency, promptly assessing the issue, developing a feasible action plan, and following it through to successful completion.
• Experience in a diverse team-based environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to review and apply technical specifications and requirements to the tooling and equipment.
•Possesses strong analytical skills and demonstrated focus on process and Lean Manufacturing concepts.
Specific software knowledge requirements include:
- Experience in Creo/AutoCAD/Sketchup software
- Knowledge of 2D/3D drawing
- Knowledge of Mechanical design and engineering
- Knowledge of ENOVIA/PDMLink software
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and other O365 apps.
- o Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience required.
- o Minimum 1-2years of Tooling and Equipment Engineering experience
Mack is part of the Volvo Group, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus and Volvo Penta.
We Participate in E-verify