Design it, build it, test it, see your design come to life and be part of the electromobility revolution!
At Volvo Group Trucks Technology, we are currently looking for Function Architect – Battery Management System to join the Energy Storage System Functions & BMS group.
This is us, your new colleagues
The ESS Functions and BMS group is responsible for design and architecture of battery control functionality and systemization of ESS functions used in all Volvos’ electric products, such as, buses, trucks, construction equipment, and marine applications. We belong to Electromobility organization, which was formed to be in the forefront of environmentally friendly transport solutions for a more sustainable future.
The Electromobility department combines the benefits of a large international company with the feeling of working at a small company. There is close collaboration between different parts of the organization from sales and purchasing to workshops and labs all located in the modern, inspiring facility CampX.
Teamwork and collaboration is the foundation of great products and an attractive workplace.
Who are you?
To be successful in this position you need to be a team player with strong collaboration/networking skills and have an analytic mindset of a true problem solver. You also need to be open-minded, self-motivated, and meticulous with independent critical thinking in your problem-solving approach. We expect that you either have more than 5 years of experience in automotive BMS development after masters or you have doctoral level research background in battery controls along with 3 to 5 years of experience in BMS function development for automotive or consumer electronic applications.
Main Role and Responsibilities includes but not limited to:
- Lead role in design of BMS functions considering battery control hardware, control software, configuration of cell-stack and its electro-thermal characteristics, operating conditions, and aftermarket requirements for wide range of vehicle as well as 2nd-life applications.
- Lead role in concept development of BMS functionality including balancing of requirements among various functions (sensing, SoX, connection control, thermal management, cell balancing, diagnostics, safety-critical controls, state machine, data-driven services etc.) considering high level ESS performance (energy and power availability) and lifetime objectives.
- Contribute to ESS functions and BMS technology roadmap including definition of AE and advanced research activities.
- Knowledge sharing, coaching, and mentorship.
- In this role, you are expected to closely collaborate with Chief Engineers at ESS and various other development teams.
In addition, we believe you have the following:
- Phd or MSc. in control systems, mechatronics, electrical engineering, or engineering physics.
- High competence in battery state estimation and control design including deep insights into battery cell electro-thermal-ageing dynamics and modelling.
- Good knowledge about overall battery system design and architecture, particularly about battery E&E and thermal hardware characteristics to optimize overall battery control performance.
- Hands-on experience with software (basic and application) development for embedded control applications.
- High proficiency in MATLAB and Simulink based modelling/analysis.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English.
- More than 5 years of R&D experience in automotive control systems with major focus on BMS.
Automotive experience, model-based system engineering, Embedded SW/HW, model-based SW (TargetLink), automotive cybersecurity, on-board diagnostics, cell characterization and modelling, CAE tools for battery system design, CAN, LIN, ISO 26262, J1939, AutoSAR.
Are we a perfect match?
Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines. When joining us you will be a part of the biggest technology shift in the transport industry in decades, with our innovative products we make our customers win. We want you to be in the front seat.
At Volvo Group Trucks Technology, we are actively working to establish teams that will take maximum advantage of the strength inherent to differences in knowledge, experience, age, gender and nationality, among others. We find that well balanced work teams increase group dynamics, creativity and new approaches to solutions.
Do you want to join us on our electrified journey?
Are you curious and have some questions?
I will gladly give you more information about the position and how we can team up to electrify tomorrow!
Emilia Al-Delimi, Manager ESS Functions and BMS, +46 76 5535478.
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus and Volvo Penta.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other, and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
Kindly note that due to GDPR, we will not accept applications via mail. Please use our career site.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.