Who are We?
Service Market Logistics (SML) is part of Group Trucks Operations (GTO). We are an organization of approximately 4000 employees globally in more than 40 locations. Every day, we are delivering world-class operational excellence for our customers, based upon smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage and optimize the Service Market supply chain for all Volvo Group brands and JV’s. The scope for Service Market Logistics includes Flow Optimization, Inventory Management, Distribution Center operations, Customs & Trade, as well as the development of logistics solutions to ensure the highest possible parts availability, delivery precision and quality everywhere in the world. We strive for an innovative and diverse workplace, exercising the Volvo Group values with high focus on customer success.
SML North America (NA) is a part of SML and has about 1,000 employees across the United States, Canada and Mexico. We operate the Central Distribution Center in Byhalia, MS as well as 7 Regional Distribution Centers across the NA region. We support the Volvo Penta, Volvo Construction Equipment, Volvo Bus, Volvo Trucks, and Mack Trucks brands.
Position Description Summary
The Logistics Project Management Intern will be responsible for providing analytical support to Project Managers and/or driving small projects related to aftermarket logistics.
Mission / Purpose of the Position
The Project Management internship role will provide a student with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to promote the student’s career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Group Service Market Logistics North America (SML NA) by supporting and/or driving projects for the Projects department. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns and our full-time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Group SML NA.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Analyze logistics data including, but not limited to, inbound and outbound transportation, packaging, warehousing, logistics administration for purchased material, products, and parts from supplier to end customer.
- Create dashboards using data analytics for project KPI’s and overall project status.
- Assist Project Managers in day-to-day project management tasks: schedule, facilitate, and follow up project team meetings and tasks, preparation of project documentation, etc.
- Prepare and present formal presentations to colleagues and management.
Minimum Education / Technical / Functional / Language Requirements
- Applicant must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in Business Administration, Logistics/Supply Chain Management, Project Management or a related field, at an accredited school.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career in Logistics and Supply Chain Management and/or Project Management.
- Applicant must have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicant should be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Power BI knowledge is preferred.
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills, with experience in a teamwork environment
- Presentation skills
- Understanding of basic logistics and supply chain concepts
- Continuous improvement mindset
This internship will require 40 hours per week during the Summer 2022 semester, with the specific working schedule to be agreed upon with the hiring manager.
- Writing Assignments: Project updates may be required throughout the term. At the end of the internship, the intern to create a PowerPoint on what they learned, what went well and what could have gone better.
- Performance Feedback: Throughout the entire experience, the manager/mentor will provide verbal and written feedback on work performance.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify