- Manage preparation and filing of sales/use tax returns and payment of related tax liabilities by external service providers
- Manage sales/use tax audits and respond to notices
- Gather, reconcile and/or analyze source data for returns and audits
- Monitor nexus footprint and filing requirements on an ongoing basis, including impact of changes in business activities and laws
- Oversee collection and maintenance of customer exemption certificates
- Respond to customer sales tax inquiries
- Manage use tax accrual process; claim and document manufacturing, resale and other applicable exemptions; support Purchasing group on use tax decisions
- Review sales/use tax account reconciliations and analyze variances
- Assist with sales tax software implementations and upgrades
- Research product taxability and other sales/use tax issues
- Act as internal contact person for sales/use tax questions from various Volvo businesses and departments
- Identify opportunities to improve and/or automate tax compliance processes to increase efficiency and quality
- Monitor sales/use tax legislation for relevant opportunities and issues
- Assist with property tax and federal excise tax compliance and audits as needed
- Travel to Volvo facilities in U.S. as needed (< 5%)
- Technical/Functional Expertise: Demonstrating broad technical knowledge of sales and use tax rules on a multistate basis.
- Initiative: Taking action in the absence of specific instructions or in the absence of a specific requirement, taking reasonable risks to achieve results and persevering when challenged.
- Results Oriented: Identifying and performing actions necessary to complete tasks and attain results, regardless of obstacles or challenges.
- Flexibility: Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities and accepting new challenges, responsibilities and assignments.
- Planning/Organization: Prioritizing and managing tasks to meet deadlines; managing multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Analytical Skills: Recognizing patterns in data, information or events, drawing logical conclusions and making recommendations for action.
- Teamwork: Working effectively with others and sharing information and resources within a matrix and team-based environment.
- Communication: Utilizing effective verbal and written communication skills to influence the actions, decisions, opinions or thinking of others.
- Organizational Sensitivity: Acting based on how individuals and organizational units function and react, using informal systems to get things done and obtaining support of key players.
- Please refer to the Critical Competencies Dictionary for the standard competencies applicable to all positions within Volvo Group North America.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or related field from nationally accredited university
- MST, MAC or similar advanced degree preferred
- CPA license preferred
- 7+ years of progressive state and local sales/use tax experience with public accounting firm and/or multistate company, including demonstrated management skills
- Proficiency with online tax research tools (Bloomberg Tax or Checkpoint preferred)
- Proficiency with sales/use tax compliance software (Thomson Reuters OITD or Vertex preferred)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with corporate ERP or accounting systems (SAP preferred)
- Familiarity with data wrangling and visualization tools (Alteryx or Power BI preferred)
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Finance contributes to realizing the vision of the Volvo Group by developing and providing a wide range of expert services from financial planning to accounting, business controlling, M&As, real estate services, financial reporting and investor relations. With Volvo Group Finance you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify