Are you an experienced Engineer with a passion for being hands on with the products? Does the opportunity to work in an organization driving the future of the transportation industry excite you? Do you want to work on a team of highly skilled, collaborative engineers solving complex challenges?
If so, we have a great opportunity for you! Volvo Group is seeking a Lead Durability Features Engineer to join our Vehicle Features team in Greensboro, NC.
Read on for more details!Who We Are
Our team, Vehicle Features, resides within the Complete Vehicle (CV) function at Volvo Group North America. CV’s mission is to be the “Voice of the Customer” and ensure that all Volvo & Mack Trucks outperform customer expectations through comprehensive Verification and Validation plans.
Volvo Group defines a vehicle feature as the way in which an end user (owner, driver, workshop mechanic, etc.) expresses expectations and requirements on the product needs. Vehicle Features include Reliability, Durability, Braking, Ride Comfort, Handling, Driver Assistance, Connected Services, Noise Vibration & Harshness (NVH), Fuel Economy, Avg. Speed, Driveability, and Competitor Vehicle Analysis (CVA).
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which are central our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance.
- We are obsessed with Customer Success.
- We initiate Change to stay ahead.
- We willingly place our Trust in each other.
- We have a huge Passion for what we do.
Volvo Group’s mission is to be an industry leader in Quality & Uptime and as a Lead Durability Feature Engineer you will play a vital role in making that happen! You will be a resident specialist responsible for Complete Vehicle Durability, ensuring that Volvo and Mack Trucks exceeds customer quality & uptime expectations. This will include communicating customer expectations (via requirements and target setting) to Brands, Product Planning, & Engineering, as well as evaluating system/component designs & vehicle integration, and ensuring Verification and Validation plans then fulfil Quality & Uptime requirements.
Who You Are
- Transpose Project Wanted Position (PWP) into measurable requirements.
- Generate Durability Requirements based PWP and Customer Expectations
- Lead discussions with Engineering, PPL, and Brands to communicate and balance requirements.
- Create, define, and anchor Feature Contracts.
- Collaborate with Q&CS and Aftermarket to:
- Generate L10s, estimate risk of feature deliveries, and predict total cost of ownership.
- Correlate Feature risk to verification & validation test plans.
- Obtain system & component L10 from Q&CS and transpose in to R90C90 requirements.
- Responsible for Durability Verification and Validation Plan (V&V)
- Collaborate with Vehicle Engineering to review System & Component Designs, TRs and FMEAs to ensure all S&C items meet or exceed R90C90.
- Update and maintain Complete Vehicle DFMEA based on scope of Design changes, Risk to Customer, and Test Detection.
- Drive discussions between Test Engineers, Component Owners, and PMO to communicate test purpose/goals, procedure, set-up, and execution.
- Write descriptive Test Work orders based on Reliability V&V needs.
- Lead Quality focused PIL resolution with System & Component owners.
- Responsible for Durability Feature Review report out at project gates
- Conduct an objective evaluation of the feature and deliver feature status reports before the gates' opening, including approvals or proposals and requests for modifications.
- Participate and provide Feature input in Engineering Design Reviews.
- Assist PMO in the development of PDP with Requirements and Test methods.
- Participate in the Global Feature and Local Feature Team Networks.
- Engage in related industry activities and developments and engaged in Volvo councils and forums as necessary.
You are a highly skilled and experienced engineer with a passion for being hands on in driving the success of the product. You understand the importance of the ”voice of the customer” and therefore place high value on customer success. You are committed to life-long learning and continuious improvement and proactively look for way to continue your learning journey. You have strong leadership skills including your ability to communicate effectively and gain trust of others. You are seeking an opportunity where you will be able to have a direct impact on the success of the Volvo & Mack Trucks in the North American market.
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical engineering/ Engineering Mechanics
- 12+ years engineering experience
- Knowledge and understanding on customer expectations to achieve a quality product
- Proven competency in digital tools (Reliasoft, Minitab, nCode, Ansys, Python, Matlab, etc.)
- Previous experience with the usage of quality tools (FMEA, Pugh Matrix, Weibull Analysis, fishbone analysis, A3, DFA, DFAM, etc.)
Compensation & Benefits
- Previous Durability Test Engineer experience
- Expertise on heavy truck dynamics, load analysis, familiar with CANbus network
- Current CDL holder or ability to obtain
- 5 years’ experience with Heavy duty truck industry
- Previous experience on failure frequency data management
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here