Design of Graphics Overlays for Digital Mirrors
Traditional mirrors in vehicles are increasingly replaced by systems of cameras and monitors, “Digital mirrors”. The new technology opens up new possibilities to enhance the driving experience by overlaying the camera’s view with graphics to make driving simpler, safer and more enjoyable. This could include for example visualizing the end of one’s own vehicle or the distance to surrounding objects and road users.
The ambition of this thesis work is to explore what information can be of interest to the driver as well as how the information can be presented when overlaid on screens or other parts of the cab.
Examples of questions that the thesis work could aim to investigate:
- Design overlays for distance perception support
- Design overlays for trucks which frequently connect to different combinations of trailers
- Design overlays for Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS)
- Design overlays for supporting driver's situation awareness in semi-automation, platooning situationsor with future connectivity technologies
Engineering student at Master’s level with background in Industrial Design Engineering, Interaction Design, Programming, or Product Development. Or Psychology student on Master’s degree level. Preferably a cooperation between two students with different educational backgrounds.
For the specific topic of this thesis work, we foresee the following important activities:
- If possible - Work in a pair to secure a more cross-functional approach, significant result and personal development
- Interviewing and observing users to understand their needs and behaviors
- Designing and prototyping (possibly interactive or dynamic) overlay concepts
- Performing user validations of concepts (in driving simulator if relevant)
MinJuan Wang, +46 31 3231152
Christian Fransson, +46 768644520
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.