Engineer - Geometrical Assurance
Within CAB design department, Geometrical Assurance Engineering (GAE) as a part of Geometrical Architecture group, is responsible for ensuring cabs and the constituting components/systems are designed to the dimensional needs to assure the aesthetical, functional and mountability conditions. Your position as Geometrical Assurance Engineer, performing Geometrical Assurance Engineering activities with goal to ensure the geometrical quality on the build products throughout the complete life cycle of the product.
To achieve your mission, you shall have close interactions with quality requirement engineer, design team, CAB architecture team, verification leader, project manager and suppliers.
You visit suppliers and Volvo assembly locations to validate the solutions.
This position comes under reporting structure of Group Manager - Geometrical Architecture & Platform group within CAB design department.
The content of the role can be shortly described as:
- Establishing concepts and integrate geometry robustness in the product (robust Tolerancing at part, subassembly and assembly level) and process
- Preparing verification and geometrical adjustments for industrialization and production
- Statistical follow up for dimensional convergence during development, and stability during production phase
- Many of the tasks that this job performs is connected to strategies, technology, manufacturing development and product /project planning and has more engagement over time than just project time
- Implement the complete GAE process in all the impacted areas of projects (Interior, exterior, driving & BIW)
- Deliver the prerequisites and balanced geometry in order to meet the product aesthetical, functional and mountability demands considering technology developments, project and manufacturing requirements
- Deliver the GAE inputs to concept development during pre-study
During concept study - Evaluate alternative concepts for GAE robustness, suggest the changes in the concept, define measurement protocols for suppliers & develop physical verification plan
- Perform the GAE related master verification and physical- virtual correlation
- Ensure cross functional agreements happen and GAE deliverables are met for the entire project scope at each gate
- Analyse the conflicts with respect to demand and recommend the solutions with a QDCF mind-set
- Work on the assigned areas by performing 2D and 3D tolerance studies & optimizing the tolerances to meet the requirements
- Develop the process and tools to increase the efficiency, document the lessons learnt log for each project
As GAE Engineer, you will be doing the following Activities in general:
- Define and maintain aesthetic gap and flush target requirements
- Analyse, Define and maintain BiW , Exterior and Interior datum targets, as per 3-2-1 principle (reference system)
- Perform tolerance calculation for BiW, Exterior and Interior – Build Tolerance simulation/analysis models in RDnT software environment
- Find solutions to deviations from tolerance calculations
- Attend project regular meetings, understand and gather necessary inputs, resolve queries - Interact closely with local and onsite GAE counterparts, Product development engineers, Studio engineers, etc
- Perform functional tolerance calculations apart from Gap and Flush area
- Sound knowledge & application experience of GD&T – Define datum targets, apply GD&T callouts to BIW, Exterior and Interior components, assign tolerances
- Knowledge about 2D and 3D tolerance stackup & experienced in stack up calculations
- Knowledge about Aesthetical requirements – Gap, Flush, Parallelism, Alignment
- Automotive product development knowledge, dimensional management - Exposure to automotive interiors, exterior & BIW components
- Awareness of manufacturing technologies, processes and achievable tolerances, Knowledge of design and manufacturing requirements & constraints on typical plastic, sheet metal and tubular components
- Knowledge of inspections fixtures, Gages, CMM measurements and methods
- Exposure to statistical analysis of the data
- Catia, RDnT/3DCS/Vis VSA or any 3D tolerance analysis software, PDM link, MS office.
- Clear and crisp in communication.
- Should be team oriented and able to collaborate with cross-functional area’s.
- University degree- Bachelor of Mechanical / Automobile Engineering with 3-5 years of industry experience.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.