Powertrain Response Engineering - Senior Engineer
Group Trucks Technology is seeking a Senior Engineer to work in our Powertrain Response Engineering (PRE) team in Hagerstown, MD. The Senior Engineer will work within a small team lead by a technical leader to improve customer satisfaction by increasing the capacity to resolve technical challenging issues. For some moderately complex technical issues, the Senior Engineer will be asked to be the technical leader. He or she should be prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment; gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of engineering. As a valued member of the PRE team within GTT, the Senior Engineer will have the opportunity to work cross functionally and directly with all the engineering teams.
We are looking for an exceptionally technical, creative and team oriented Senior Engineer to drive the technical work to implement innovative solutions. This is a role for a powertrain Development technologist who is passionate about solving complex challenges who can generate new ideas into tangible improvements in Powertrain technologies. If you are someone who relishes shaping complete system concepts, then this is the job for you. The Senior Engineer is expected to possess the know-how to help identify and develop solutions from concept selection to production and support a strong experienced technical cross functional team in doing so. This individual is expected to play a key role in providing technical support to solve moderate, difficult and complex product design solutions. The role requires an agile, networked way of working as well as an open mindset and passion to add value to our product. For this team the focus is on getting stuff done, so we are looking for action oriented, curious and entrepreneurial individuals. This position will report to the Group Manager of Engineering for the Powertrain Response Engineering Team.
Responsibilities of the Senior Engineer include
- Very critical to have troubleshooting ability and root cause analysis skills to solve very complex and difficult technical product issues
- Ability to clearly summarize and communicate complex cross functional issues
- Knowledge and ability to apply a system level solution across the entire powertrain (Engine/Transmission/Axle/ECU) and interfaces with the vehicle and environment
- An internal network and ability to support a technical team together within Powertrain Engineering (global and local) and to other business areas (Q&CS, purchasing, etc.)
- Develop and create a severe “killer” test with correlation to real world failures
- Good knowledge of how the powertrain is utilized by customers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate well with others, both local and global teams
- Provide status and progress reports to management
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Report generation and data analysis
- Hands on Cell, truck, bench/lab testing, in some cases the testing could be performed externally.
- Provide support to fellow team members on powertrain calibration and performance team activities.
- Lead a defined area of technical expertise, with moderate technical complexity
- Take lead and/or support team in preparation and presenting technical/design reviews.
- Have on holistic view on deliverables from other interfaces to secure quality
- & readiness before release.
- Spread knowledge and develop competence within the team.
- Develop and manage networking across the organization and provide inputs to the project pre-requisites based on the component history.
- Attention to detail
- Broad Network
- Complete Powertrain / vehicle technical knowledge
- Ability to utilize Root Cause analysis and FMEA methods to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Communication: Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced engineers, project manager, etc.
- Dependability/Reliability: Follow through on commitments, timely delivery on projects, assigned tasks, etc.
- Flexibility: Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positive responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Mechanical Engineering (preferably), Electrical Engineering, or another engineering degree from an accredited school required
- Master of Science preferred
- Minimum 5 years of related engineering experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Action oriented with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Motivated to solve problems and develop quality solutions in a timely manner
- Ability to successfully collaborate with global and cross-functional colleagues
- Innovative mindset with customer focus
- Valid US Work authorization.
- Ideal candidate will be highly motivated with a strong sense of urgency.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.