Intern: Fintech Residency (Summer 2020)
Transportation and financial services, each on their own is considered one of the most highly disruptive and innovative industries in the world today. Volvo Financial Services finds itself in the middle of both, where the pace and frequency of change is exhilarating. A global fintech company, VFS has the reach and resources to reshape how the world views transportation. VFS has embarked on an ambitious digital transformation journey, aiming to be the leading force in achieving Volvo Group’s vision to be the most desired and successful transportation solution provider in the world. To do this, VFS is looking for tomorrow’s top talent. Are you up for the challenge? VFS Global HQ is seeking a student to work within the Strategy and Innovation area to drive competitive and market intelligence on different technology trends in the financial services, mobility, and transportation industries. Some of the technologies of interest include (but are not limited to) vehicle connectivity (telematics), vehicle automation, electromobility, machine learning, Blockchain, fintech, and insurtech.
The scope of the role includes working both with internal VFS resources as well as in collaboration with external parties such as startups, universities, or other stakeholders in the innovation community, as well as supporting VFS in the organization and management of our iLabX startup accelerator program. The internship will be based at the company’s Greensboro, North Carolina-based Global HQ and will take place during the 2020 Summer period (May 18 – August 14, 2020).
VFS’s goal is to contribute to the student’s development, as well as providing an opportunity for the student to work in a business environment within the financial services industry. The internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to support/promote the graduate's career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Financial Services by working on important and innovative projects. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns and our full time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Financial Services.
- Analytical: Capable of drawing connections and seeing the correlation between disparate data sets and business processes
- Must be passionate about innovation, strategy, technology, entrepreneurship, and customer-centric development
- Ability to work in diverse teams and communicating with colleagues located across the globe
- Action oriented: Full of energy for challenges and not fearful of acting. Seizes opportunities
- Dependable and detail oriented: Delivers agreed upon results on time and within scope. Places a high value on getting a job done right the first time
- Integrity and trust: Seen as a direct, truthful individual who presents facts in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences and admits mistakes
- Resourceful: Asks questions and seeks answers with a curious mind. Acts with ‘next-level’ thinking
- Peer relationships: Can solve problems with peers and is seen as a team player who easily gains trust and support and encourages collaboration. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally
- Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish
- Self-development: Personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/her
- Standing alone: Can be counted on and is willing to be the only champion for an idea or work alone on an assignment
- Technical learning: Can learn new skills and knowledge quickly and is good at learning a new industry, company, product, or technology
- Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced colleagues.
- Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positively responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's in Finance/Business/Economics/Data Analytics/IT and have at least 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Prefer candidates local to Greensboro, NC
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Summer Interns are required to work 40 hours or less per week
- Experience working in agile frameworks, preferably Scrum methodology
- Experience mapping business processes and documenting business requirements for system enhancements
- Familiarity with all stages of the software development lifecycle, including user story development, QA testing, DevOps and integrations
- Experience from the financial services, automotive, IT, transportation, or consulting industries is highly desirable
- Have experience prioritizing work effectively and multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Experience understanding and documenting business processes
- Have proven interpersonal communication skills
- Experience managing complex product development or research projects is highly desirable
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Expert level in Excel preferred. Experience using data analytics and visualization tools (e.g. Qlik, Tableau), SQL (MS SQL Server / Oracle), and Python and R programming languages are all beneficial
- Fully proficient in reading, writing and speaking English; additional languages is a plus
Volvo Financial Services (VFS) is the captive finance company for the Volvo Group and its customers and dealers. Our services are important to the Group in terms of customer satisfaction, growth, competitive advantage and product affordability. We offer leasing, installment financing, insurance solutions, rentals, repair and maintenance contracts, dealer financing and many other services, depending on the market. Our team of about 1400 professionals manages approximately SEK 100 billion of assets, and our employees are located in about 48 countries. Working at VFS is both exciting and challenging since we get to work closely with each Business Entity of the Volvo Group. Please read more about us at our homepage.
Volvo Financial Services is the global financial solutions provider of the Volvo Group, supporting the Volvo Group brands with expert financial services. This includes providing customers and dealers with a full-range of offerings, such as financing, leasing, and insurance solutions. Our team of about 1,400 professionals are located in 45 countries worldwide. As a part of the Volvo Financial Services team, you will experience challenging assignments, gain international exposure, and interact with colleagues around the world in the Volvo Group.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.