Engineer - Application Engineering
You are responsible for providing engineering analysis, knowledge, and expertise on product usage within the Powertrain Application Engineering organization. As a part of a global network, you will cultivate a thorough understanding of how our products are utilized in real-world applications and promote data-driven product development by improving the feedback loop and usage of customer data in the project life cycle.
The application engineer strives to improve product quality by strengthening the definition of customer requirements and increasing input to the early phases of development. You will apply knowledge of product features and usage in order to inform new technology selection, influence powertrain options and specifications, and support product development and maintenance activities.
You will be an application engineer at the Hagerstown, MD location and will be expected to work cross-functionally on a local and global level to support the strategic roadmap for the powertrain engineering organization. Your role will involve problem solving to a wide array of projects and functions within the Volvo Group, and will require creative thinking and flexibility to meet the needs of our end customers.
- You will assist in identifying and securing data that is critical to understanding the product usage and life cycle. You will become an expert in analyzing and interpreting this data to inform product development and maintenance with customer applications and trends.
- You will clearly define and distinguish unique customer duty cycles in terms of powertrain systems and components. You will develop and implement methodologies for segmenting customer populations to strengthen product requirements and verification.
- You will guide and support powertrain system verification and validation through vehicle data analysis and simulation. You will evaluate customer application risk by identifying gaps in product verification activities.
- You will provide recommendations for powertrain specification and optimization to promote sales and increase competitiveness in the market. You will interface with various functions dealing with the development and implementation of new product features.
- As an application engineer, you will become part of a team that is leading the organization in data analytics processes, methods, and tools. You will be able to deliver all steps of an analysis independently, but also work closely in projects together with colleagues in Europe and Brazil.
- Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
- Self-Starter: Able to manage several projects simultaneously, and use initiative to start processes on time without management intervention.
- Customer Focus: Understanding and meeting the needs of customers and addressing the interests and concerns of all organization stakeholders.
- Flexibility: Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities and assignments.
- Ownership / Accountability: Taking the lead in getting the job done and accepting responsibility for personal actions, costs, and results.
- Attention to Detail: Monitoring adherence to standards and actively checking for accuracy of data received or generated before passing it on.
- Problem Solving/Decision Making: Taking a well-ordered approach to solving problems and acting despite obstacles or resistance.
- Quality Advocate: Championing the quality process by reinforcing the organization’s vision, quality values, and quality processes and fostering the continuous improvement of all operational and business practices.
- Strong analytical skills as well as holistic thinking.
- Good knowledge / understanding of heavy duty truck products & operation.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or related technical field required.
- Master of Science degree is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years related working experience required.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Multinational company experience is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite required.
- Experience with MATLAB & Simulink preferred.
- Experience with programming and data analysis preferred (Python, R, C#, C++, Java, SQL, etc.).
- Some business travel required.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.