Human Resource Business Partner/Labor Relations Manager
SML North America (NA) has over 1,000 employees across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our distribution network consists of a Central Distribution Center (Byhalia, MS) as well as 8 Regional Distribution Centers across the North American region.
We are looking for a qualified Human Resource Business Partner/Labor Relations Manager for our Central Distribution Center in Byhalia, MS. This Byhalia DC is a 1 million square foot facility located approximately 25 miles southeast of Memphis, TN and employs approximately 625 employees.
The Human Resources Business Partner/Labor Relations Manager is responsible for assisting in the overall management and administration of the human resources labor relations functions. Although the role has a heavy focus on the labor relations, the ideal candidate should also have extensive generalist experience, as they will also assist with other human resources generalist activities. The position reports to the Human Resources Manager in our Central Distribution Center.
The individual will be expected to be a business partner and consultant to help build organizational capability to meet financial and strategic goals. It is essential that the candidate have demonstrated the ability to influence peers and all levels of management. The selected candidate will assist in the development and implementation of HR strategy, programs and policies for the site; including performance management, employee relations, compensation and benefits, succession planning, training and development and staffing,
This position requires HR labor relations experience with respect to preparing for and advising on matters pertaining to contract negotiation, grievance cases, arbitrations, conciliations, federal and state labor legislation, etc.
Project management, interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills, business acumen, and problem solving skills required. Candidate must be flexible with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/tasks from inception to completion in a rapidly changing environment.
The selected candidate must have demonstrated success in strong people-leadership skills with an ability to help employees connect their efforts to the bigger picture and to create an inclusive work environment that motivates employees to their highest levels of performance.
- Advise, counsel and coach management and supervisors on workforce-related issues with a strong focus on collective bargaining Agreement (CBA) interpretation/administration, discipline, policy and regulatory adherence, and Bargaining Unit compensation and benefits.
- Work closely with union representation to maintain a strong and effective relationship
- Develop a comprehensive labor strategy to support the operational objectives of the site
- Manage CBA/union issues, including manpower placement, grievance investigations, progressive discipline, etc.
- Support contract negotiations by identifying issues, developing proposals, and building a business case to support the company’s position
- Coach managers through complex labor relations and employee relations situations/issues
- Assist managers in organization design activities such as: design of position profiles, performance management, and effective organizational planning
- Ensure consistent administration and interpretation of the site work rules and policies
- Provide consultation and support regarding employee relations, staffing/talent selection and people development
- Develop and implement process improvements related to Human Resources
- Ensure manager actions adhere to employment-related company policies and practices as well as federal and local regulations
- Act as a change agent to support management in the roll out of new organization initiatives
- Develop an understanding of business objectives and practices to provide effective coaching and consultation within the business
- Perform all other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Relations, Business, or Related Discipline
- Master in related field preferred
- Ten (10) years’ experience in Human Resources and Labor Relations experience in a distribution/manufacturing environment, with direct Labor Relations experience with the UAW or another major industrial Union
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and influence others
- Strong problem solving, negotiating, and conflict resolution skills, and the ability to be flexible and change directions when needed
- Ability to work independently and make independent decisions, ensuring high levels of collaboration with stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work varied shifts (potentially 3 shifts), including weekends as needed
- Experience as a key participant in contract negotiations with unions
- Ability to work collaboratively with operations leadership and union officials at all levels in the company
- Ability to lead continuous improvement efforts to support operational strategies
- Thorough knowledge of US employment law and HR professional practices
- Coaching/facilitation/advising skills to help drive transformation and change in the organization
- Conflict resolution skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to facilitate meetings with diverse groups, resolve conflicts and support resolution to a positive outcome
- Ability to coach managers and employees in handling various employment and management related issues
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.