The fundamental intent of this job is to provide guidance on sales application issues, request for unpublished option pricing, availability and technical support to the Customer/Dealer and field sales people for products, specifications, compatibility, pricing, and sales engineering issues. To promptly and accurately document essential customer specific prerequisites in order to process incoming orders while eliminating vehicle mis-builds. Additional duties include participation in customer visitations, hosting paper and pilot reviews as well as providing specification guidance. The Sales Engineer acts as the commercial conduit into the industrial organization and vice versa thus providing a steady state of sales and manufacturing for VTNA and its entities.
- Reviews incoming orders for completeness, accuracy, component capability, buildability and general application. Interfaces with customers/dealers and engineering to insure no order errors are passed through to Engineering
- Provides well informed, explicit, precise specification guidance to the field organization, VTNA field sales and service personnel, corporate personnel and other internal and external sources. Maintains knowledge of a dynamic product offering and overall knowledge of products, pricing and services offered
- Maintains order specific certification and VIN data. Reviews orders for complete and accurate vehicle certification data to include proper compatibility with regard to components and ratings to comply with existing standards and requirements. Maintains and completes otherwise incomplete VTNA data
- Establish and maintain all order to “P” status. Process incoming orders (including all incompatibilities) in accordance with departmental standards and goals thus providing a steady state of manufacturing between the sales force, engineering, materials and production. Determine if new engineering restrictions are valid, often by calculating space available for truck components and informing engineering of invalid restrictions
- Responsible for order specifications from order receipts through vehicle shipment. Maintains and reviews orders for correct validation of that order to include supplying the dealer with order/spec compatibility, unpublished option pricing and information prior to ordering, TSCO’s, Fontaine modifications, visits, paper and pilot reviews and any other related activities. Provides the central source for acquiring and relaying any given information from the customer/dealer to field reps to engineering to corporate personnel and any other of a number of contacts
- Participate in company sponsored outside activities to include truck shows, new product evaluations and additional activities as requested
- Conduct thorough review of future TM2 publications. Maintain ongoing communication with marketing, product engineering and structure as to compatibility issues, offerings and field requests
- Originate new sales code structure as is necessary to appropriately document order requirements by working in collaboration with the structure group and product engineering as compatibility problems or new options arise. Initiates to structure as acceptable or contacts the customer/dealer with available correct option(s) and initiates the change to ensure proper validation. Initiates the revision of incorrect engineering restrictions. This is a dynamic process as new options; engineering changes, materials shortages, etc. evolve
- Insures that all order specifications are compliant to pertinent governmental regulations and accepted common practices. Maintain practices and procedures as they are stipulated in current ISO procedures. Maintain ongoing exchange and compliance of all pertinent regulations as supplied by Product Engineering and Marketing. Confer with legal representatives on occasional local issues
- Solve specification problems with field sales force through interaction with in-house structure group and/or engineers by negotiating a compromise solution. Maintain interaction with the structure and product engineering groups to achieve proper order validation. Resolve spec problems by seeking support groups expertise. Provide alternate options/resolutions if original are not available. Implement the actions required to the order board due to the inability of vendors to supply the material ordered
- Resolve validation errors that occur as a part of order administration. Rectify errors by structuring new offerings and approved combinations and if not available by contacting the customer/dealer and suggesting alternative approved specs then initiating the change
- Confirms correctness and completeness of paint charts and EEO1 data prior to distribution to production. If additional info is required the Sales Engineer initiates contact with the customer/dealer for proper specs and documentation and initiates the change. Coordinates with paint vendor rep to insure proper codes are used
- Hosts customer visits, plant tours, paper and pilot review sessions thus providing an integral part of the front line in representing NRV, VTNA and its assets
- Prepare and reviews paper and pilot review booklets to ensure proper build, inspects all pilot models preceding customer visitation, interfaces with the customer and dealer to review the truck and specs to insure proper order engineering and build. Coordinates additional change requests and initiates if approved
- Responds to requests for unpublished option pricing. Interfaces with customer/dealers and engineering to insure unpublished option availability and pricing are communicated in a timely manner so as to maintain departmental goals and objectives. Requires direct interaction with product engineering, engineering data, engineering processes and materials suppliers to provide availability, compatibility and pricing to the customer/dealer
- Insure that acknowledgements are properly priced in a timely manner to maintain departmental goals and objectives. Researches availability and pricing from pricing request inquiries, references engineering data or pricing matrixes to maintain complete pricing
- Maintain accuracy of unpublished option pricing. Develop pricing, maintain pricing matrixes and continually assess engineering data to ensure availability and up to date pricing to maximize consistency. Maintain contact with corporate marketing/engineering groups to exchange information on new product requests and offerings
- Perform project work as assigned
- Four year related engineering OR four year related technical degree OR eight years of technical product experience
- Employee must demonstrate a strong understanding of the technical aspects of the vehicle, which includes documentation systems used
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must
- Must be able to understand and implement the elements of the company’s business plan
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates.
In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.