Group Director Patents
In Volvo Group IP we have three highly specialized and competent teams; Patents, IP Strategy & Portfolio and IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs with IP responsibility for the complete Volvo Group. The Group Directors for the three departments together with Vice President Volvo Group IP form the Volvo Group IP management team that jointly drives the creation and use of IP to support profitability, competitiveness and growth cross products, supply chain and R&D within the entire Volvo Group.
We are now looking for a:
Group Director Patents
In the position as Group Director Patents you will be responsible for the Volvo Group patent organization with employees in five countries. The Swedish team, as well as two managers responsible for two global teams, report directly to the Group Director. The position offers a global working environment with dedicated and professional colleagues.
You will report to the Vice President Volvo Group IP, Group Trucks Technology, in a role with executive management visibility.
Main activities and responsibilities:
- lead, develop and manage the patent team in global patent filing and prosecution, from receipt of invention disclosures to granted patents in selected countries
- lead and manage participation of the patent team in the IP strategy development and in IP portfolio creation and use, and work streams relating thereto, based on the Volvo Group IP Plan
- actively participate in the Volvo Group IP management team and jointly with the management team drive the continuous development of the Volvo Group IP department in different areas
- responsible for the evaluation of third party patents and patent risk
- manage the inventor remuneration process globally and align with national law, union and other relevant stakeholders
- guide and supervise quality and compliance to established Group IP policies, guidelines, directives, roles, responsibilities and processes
- drive evaluation and improvement of patent creation processes and patent administration IT systems and tools
- drive professional individual development of the patent team, and be a key stakeholder in driving patent training globally
- manage the patent organization’s budget, supplier selection and supplier relationship
As Group Director Patents, you shall have a Master of Science or similar technical degree. You shall have in-expert knowledge of patent law in the main jurisdictions and knowledge of trademark, design and trade secret law. We will require strong IP expertise and comprehensive patent attorney capabilities. Also, qualification and authorization to practice before a national or regional patent office is relevant. It is essential that you have up to date knowledge on IP strategies, trends, development and practices including in-depth knowledge of technology- and/or IP-based competitiveness. We will also need good business knowledge and understanding.
Furthermore, it is important that you have strong leadership competence with the ability to build effective teams and be customer focused. Also, you should be able to instill trust to different parts of an organization, including top management, and be out-come focused with the ability to navigate in both formal channels and informal networks in organizations. A co-operative mindset, good ability to quickly assess new situations, sound judgment, genuine business interest and communication skills are also important pre-requisites for this position. We offer a global working environment with dedicated and professional colleagues and good development opportunities.
To conclude we are looking for a positive, dynamic person with not only a passion for IP issues but also for developing people.
For further information please contact:
Susann Vahlenbreder Hecht, VP Volvo Group IP, Group Trucks Technology, +46 323 69 99 or
Function HR Agneta Haglund +46 31 322 17 32
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.