Chief Designer User Experience (UX) Volvo Trucks North America
In Complete Vehicle we are close to end customers, understanding their needs and behaviors. Our engaged teams have a holistic view of the entire truck and bring hands-on truck experience.
Product Design is a global organization of design excellence that creates superior customer value by designing appealing products with strong brand profiles for the Volvo Group. Product Design’s expertise consists of generating ideas of future designs and inspiring creativity and innovation within the Volvo Group. We constantly increase innovation and efficiency through cooperation between our design studios located in Ageo, Gothenburg, Greensboro and Lyon.
- The Chief Designer UX Volvo Trucks North America leads the work to develop user interaction and service design solutions related to the products and services provided to customers by Volvo Trucks North America. The Chief Designer UX Volvo Trucks works closely with Volvo Trucks’ business and solution delivery partners, translating business requirements, modern technology, and user needs into a meaningful, desirable and profitable customer solutions.
- The Chief Designer UX Volvo Trucks interprets the design strategy and project pre-requisites and leads the team of interaction designers to deliver interaction and service design solutions according to agreed commitments.
- The Chief UX Designer Volvo Trucks North America is located in the studio in Greensboro where the Design Strategies and Design Language specific for Volvo Trucks North America is maintained. Responsibility for project deliveries applies to all projects within North America. Projects for Volvo Trucks North America will be carried out and delivered by an Interaction Design team in the GSO studio according to the strategies and design language established in GOT. Understand and integrate the specific market and legal requirements to North America.
- Take part in project target setting for Volvo Trucks Product Message and functionality
- Collaborate with Product Planning, Marketing and Customers
- Research and analyze input from related trends (e.g. Competitive set, General automotive, Culture, Human behavior, technology, design, etc.). considering the following perspectives:
- Business Efficiency and Brand platform
- Environmental and Economical Drive
- User Desirability
- Explore ideas for Product Message and create User Experience concepts
- Iterative prototyping for user and stakeholder feedback
- Knowledgeable of applicable design methodologies and their appropriate application
- Participate in cross functional teams as expert on Aesthetics, Product Message and Visual Brand Distinction
- Produce user requirements specifications, personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and design specifications
- Visualise new design solutions
- Develop decision material
- Secure the correct visual quality of the output from the Product Design Process in due time
- Develop a detailed plan and communicate with cross-functional teams and Product Owners
- Present deliverables to stakeholders
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Guide the design process, drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and schedules.
- Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes other designers, project management, business and brand strategists, and hardware and software developers.
- Service Design covering all digital customer touch points predominately sales, aftermarket services, logistics, charging stations, body builders etc.
- Coordinating of simulations together with physical model presentations for Design Review
- All qualified applicants are required to submit a current portfolio with your application or the application will not be reviewed or considered
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science; Master’s Degree is preferred
- Minimum 8+ years’ professional design experience
- 8+ years in-depth knowledge and experience of user interface design with consumer applications, mobile devices, telecommunications, and automotive
- Team leadership experience
- Minimum 2 years
- Ability to mentor the team
- Ability to craft, structure, and execute professional level design workshops for designers and non-designers
- Design and specify user interfaces and information architecture using participatory and iterative design techniques, including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, another forms of requirements discovery.
- Ability to discover, understand, and communicate the business requirement
- Equally strategic and tactical in terms of ensuring the delivery of high-quality design
- Very knowledgeable of interaction design patterns and how to apply them within a variety of contexts (vehicle, mobile, web, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge and experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with cross-functional teams including engineering, product management, and user research.
- Working knowledge of design and prototyping tools, such as Adobe Suite, Sketch (Preferred), OmniGraffle, jQuery,
- Proficient in a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g. storyboards, wireframes, sketches, video, prototypes, etc.)
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to work from a blank slate and inspire others
- Knowledge of web-based technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions, including the capabilities and limitations of Web technologies Flex, Ajax, Flash, DHTML, CSS, scripting, and various other technologies a plus
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Values Differences
- Action Oriented
- Integrity and trust
- Networking and peer relationships
- Entrepreneurial mind set
- Learning on the fly
- Ability to lead and motivate designers working in diverse projects to deliver on design strategy and according to project commitments
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, and Dreamweaver. Qt experience is highly prioritized
- Ability to prototype concepts and interpret user feedback
- Excellent communication, presentation and organization skills
- Degree in Interaction Design, HCI, or a related design or behavioral science discipline
- A passion for creating products that resonate emotionally with people
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.