We are now looking for a Buyer to join our amazing team in Chesapeake, Virginia. This role is pivotal in meeting Volvo Penta’s targets concerning customer satisfaction and short lead times in customer support activities.
What is the Job?
As a Buyer, you will be responsible for purchasing materials and parts from qualified suppliers that are used in the assembly of the Volvo Penta’s products. In addition, you will also have the responsibility of assessing the quality systems being used by the supplier to ensure that the end products manufactured by Volvo Penta meet or exceed our customer’s expectations.
Some of your core responsibilities will include:
- Manage commodities such as: Plastics, Paint, Water Pumps, Fuel Systems, Cooling Systems, Gears, Bearings and Electrical Systems
- Work closely with Segment Manager to support Segment Strategy
- Ensure development and implementation of assigned commodity strategies
- Manage the business relationships with suppliers (includes implementation of continuous improvement philosophy in quality and delivery areas)
- Responsible for leading and coordinating the MCL target for the commodity
- Ensure cross functional cooperation within Volvo Penta organization
- Participate in all new projects requiring the oversight and leadership of a formal Project Management team
- Prepare design and cost driver analyses and lead coordination of "concurrent engineering" activities
- Prepare strategic analyses of new plant and engineering initiatives (including supplier evaluation, negotiation of terms & conditions, as well as supplier recommendation and selection)
- Long term agreement (NDA, Framework, Pricing, Warranty, Quality) contract development and execution to secure the most favorable terms & conditions for Volvo Penta
This position requires a higher level of education so we’re looking to bring aboard someone who has a 4-year degree in business-related or engineering field. We also require a minimum of 6+ years of production purchasing experience for this role. Automotive purchasing experience is a plus.
Are you GREAT at negotiating? You may have what it takes for this exciting role…
To be successful in this role, you will need to have excellent project and change management skills, as well as a basic understanding of all modern production processes and materials. When it comes to negotiating, we are looking for an individual skilled in negotiating favorable terms, conditions, and long-term supplier agreements that will result in strategic partnerships. In addition, excellent communication and presentation skills are necessary as is the need for fluency in speaking and writing English in order to communicate successfully with internal and external stakeholders at different levels of the organization.
This position requires core competencies and expert knowledge in supplier negotiations and quality, supply chain operations, collaborating with suppliers, and handling issues to a successful resolution.
Are you ready to join a team?
We were recently awarded “A Great Place to Work” certification and our employees can attest that Volvo Penta is a great place to work! We experience relationships built on trust and respect, change and innovation, passion, exceptional performance, and a strong commitment to customer success!
If you are interested in being part of a team focused on innovation and success, and feel that this opportunity is for you, we invite you to apply to become a Buyer with our team. We look forward to meeting you!
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. Printed copies may
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who works with passion, trust each other and embraces change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.