Co-op: Base Engine Component Engineer (Spring 2020)
The co-op role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to support/promote the graduate's career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The co-op experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Powertrain by working on important and innovative projects. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns/coops and our full time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The co-op allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Powertrain.
Assist engineers with component testing, system testing, data analysis, and reporting. Tests may include stationary rigs, test cell, or vehicle testing. Base Engine system components include Cylinder block, Cylinder head, Camshaft, Valvetrain, Crankshaft, Connecting rods, Pistons, Oil systems, Cooling systems, Flywheel housings, Flywheels, PTO, FEAD and belt drives, Gaskets, Seals and Fasteners. The goal is to work independently by mid-term and complete several small projects within the timeframe allowed. Assignments should provide good hands-on experience in several diesel engine technology areas.
Duties may include:
- Report Generation and data analysis
- Support chassis and/or test cell work and/or bench testing
- Generate and prepare design work orders and design reviews
- Collect, collate, and maintain design review data
- Define/coordinate prototype part control plan (what is to be measured by supplier)
- Manage purchase requisition through authorization process
- Coordinate component specific test: Instrumentation request, test location, Test Tech Coordination, (GHOST) and collect data
- Analyze test data for Engineer review
- Synthesize component durability test hours (in cell or on bench)
- Define, coordinate and analyze component measurements for Engineer review
- Data input and information extraction from electronic systems (eg., KOLA, TIKA…)
- Document detailed component related information
- Attention to details required when identifying a root cause to a specific problem or situation
- Communication: Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced engineers, project manager, etc.
- Dependability/Reliability: Follow through on commitments, timely delivery on projects, assigned tasks, etc.
- Flexibility: Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positive responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Applicant must be currently enrolled and pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies prior to the start of the co-op
- Co-op positions require the student to be enrolled in an off-campus course in which they receive course credit or academic transcript notation from the university/college for their co-op period
- Co-ops are required to work 40 hours per week and are NOT enrolled in academic courses during their co-op period
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Strong communication skills
- Customer Focus
- Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity and Trust
- Standing Alone
- Action Oriented
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.