Are you passionate to solve problems by leveraging data? …and have fun along the way? Then come join our team for this excellent internship opportunity.
Position Description Summary:
The Transport Flow Optimization Intern position will be part of the Transport Flow Optimization (TFO) Americas team within SML's Operations Excellence organization. This intern will support the TFO team by building and enhancing transportation data analytics tools.
Purpose of the Position:
The TFO internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to promote the graduate’s career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Group Service Market Logistics by working on projects for the TFO team. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns and our full-time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Group Service Market Logistics.
The internship position is for the Spring of 2022, and the specific working days and hours will be flexible, but agreed upon with the hiring manager.
- Leverage Power BI, Python / R and advanced analytics tools and techniques to visualize transport and other data in support of freight optimization and sourcing initiatives
- Support development of freight optimization toolbox, standard operation procedures, and processes
- Support freight data cleansing and visualizations
- Weekly Writing Assignments: Brief written summaries of the learning experiences and project updates may be required.
- Project Presentations: Formal project presentations may be required to be presented to peers, management, and senior leaders within the organization.
- Performance Feedback: Throughout the entire experience, the manager will provide verbal and written feedback on work performance. At the end of the internship, each intern will be given a formal written evaluation based on their work performance.
Essential Skills and Minimum Education Requirements:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in Supply Chain Management, Mathematics / Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Data Analytics or a related field, at an accredited school. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career in Logistics / Supply Chain Management, Data Science or a related field.
- Applicant must have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Teams, Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Applicants ideally will have experience with visualization tools (specifically PowerBI), programming (R/Python) and supply chain modeling.
- Applicants ideally will have knowledge of transportation networks and concepts
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient at learning new technologies
- Effective professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Action oriented
- Expected Commitment
- This internship will require up to 30 hours per week during the Spring 2022 semester, with the specific working schedule to be agreed upon with the hiring manager.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.