This position works closely with the US executive staff, management and operational personnel as well as the global legal and compliance team of Volvo Financial Services (the “Company”) and has responsibility for all of the US legal and compliance affairs of the Company and the management of the Company’s United States legal and compliance staff. As part of a small, fast-paced, cross-functional legal team, this position provides expertise in providing documentation and transactional structure, legal and compliance advice as well as accurate and timely legal assessments of risk exposure, strategic value, and impact on business operations to enable the business to make the best decisions under rapidly changing circumstances. This position is located in Greensboro, NC.
- Provide Leadership of the US legal and compliance team and functions
- Evaluate and recommend legal strategies and provides advice and counsel to the Senior Vice President VFS Region NA and other management team members
- Monitor, assess and respond to changes in the legal, compliance and regulatory landscape impacting the Company
- Responsible for providing legal support in the development of new business processes and structures
- Provide legal support of, including negotiating and documenting, retail and wholesale transactions and product development in commercial truck, tractor, trailer, construction equipment, bus, and other specialized transportation and commercial equipment financing
- Provide legal support of, including negotiating and documenting, a variety of secured / unsecured commercial finance transactions such as working capital, mortgage finance and acquisition finance
- Responsible for the supervision and/or oversight of the legal support for the Company’s bankruptcy and general litigation matters
- Provide legal support for implementation and training on substantive legal matters, changes in the law, compliance and regulatory issues which may include anti-corruption (FCPA) and anti-competition, AML/CFT/KYC, FATCA, OFAC, state disclosure and data privacy matters; development, reporting and oversight of compliance issues within the US consistent with global policies and practices
- Responsible for general legal matters pertaining to human resources, corporate governance, vendor contracts, intercompany arrangements, insurance programs and obtaining / maintaining required licenses
- Provide support for global legal projects including innovation initiatives and capital strategies activities
- Support development of internal policies & guidelines
- Executes other duties and responsibilities as determined by business needs
- JD (Doctorate of Jurisprudence) from an ABA accredited school
- Currently licensed for the active practice of law and in good standing with at least one state
- Ten or more years progressive management experience in a financial services company of comparable size and complexity as VFS, preferably with a manufacturing captive
- Substantial experience in negotiating and documenting middle market and large ticket secured transactions and restructurings as well as leading large and complex bankruptcy and repossession legal activities
- Substantial experience in legal department management and budgeting
- Experience with innovation such as digital transformation initiatives, including electronic contracting and digital signatures, as well as related data governance and privacy issues, highly preferred
- Experience preferred in financing electric vehicles and infrastructure and/or other emerging transportation technologies, as well as usage-based financing
- Knowledge / experience in advising on legal issues expected of a generalist
COMPETENCE AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrates these 3 principles of Leadership: Lead with Passion, Perform with Purpose, Transform with Vision.
- Ability to provide leadership in role planning, restructuring, and executing new processes
- Effective decision-making skills and ability to be a tactical as well as a strategic leader
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with all levels of staff, including senior executives at the Company and at related/sister companies
- Collaborative mindset open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback
- Intellectual humility, self-awareness, and accountability with the ability to work respectfully and openly as part of a team
- Proficiency in Office 365 applications including Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint and ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Ability to manage, supervise and direct internal attorneys and staff, as well as of external attorneys representing the Company
- Interpersonal Savvy with the ability to build trusting relationships and operate successfully in highly matrixed environment
- Willingness to exercise managerial courage in providing legal advice and presenting organizational risks to key stakeholders
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Financial Services is the global financial solutions provider of the Volvo Group, supporting the Volvo Group brands with expert financial services. This includes providing customers and dealers with a full-range of offerings, such as financing, leasing, and insurance solutions. Our team of about 1,400 professionals are located in 45 countries worldwide. As a part of the Volvo Financial Services team, you will experience challenging assignments, gain international exposure, and interact with colleagues around the world in the Volvo Group.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.