We are currently looking for a student to work with our Vehicle Features group as an intern on Mechanical Engineering. The student should be prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment; gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of engineering. As a valued member of the Features, Verification and Validation within GTT (prototype area), the student will have the opportunity to work directly with different engineering areas. GTT’s goal is to contribute to the student’s development, as well as providing an opportunity for the student to work in a business environment within the manufacturing industry. This position will report to Vehicle Features Group Manager.
- With proper training from test engineers and technicians, learn to perform sensor installations, cable wiring and instrumentation hook-up.
- Support data acquisition, hardware installation and system configuration, as well as trouble shooting.
- Support data reduction and post digital signal process for data analysis.
- Develop scripts and macros for automated data processing.
- Collaborate with other working groups on common goals.
Seeking a candidate to begin May and continue through August at 40 hrs./week.
Essential Skills and Required Experience:
- Attention to Detail: Provide accurate data and reports that are pertinent to the team’s tasks.
- Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
- Communication: Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced engineers, project manager, etc.
- Dependability/Reliability: Follow through on commitments, timely delivery on projects, assigned tasks, etc.
- Flexibility: Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positive responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
Internship Minimum Education Requirements:
- Applicant must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree Mechanical Engineering (Master student preferred) at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies prior to the start of the internship.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Strong communication skills.
- Enjoy problem solving. Strong motivation to learn about and to work with trucks will be a plus.
- An aptitude for Mechanical Measurement, Analysis and/or testing is a plus
- Engineering mechanics, vehicle dynamics with focus on ride comfort, handling and vehicle stability.
- Engineering mechanics with emphasize on strength of material (stress analysis), fatigue theory & material failure mechanism. Classes taken & lab work on structure dynamics and vibration are also helpful.
- Experimental lab experience with basic understanding on principle of instrumentation and sensors. Basic knowledge on accelerometers, string potentiometers, Inertial Measurement Units.
- Good computer skills on programming & numerical method for engineering calculations, interest in digital data processing, including MatLab/Python. Usage of data visualization (Power BI).
- Valid US Work authorization.
Integrity and Trust
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.