GTO International Manufacturing is an organization with colleagues from many parts of the world that truly embrace diversity as a success factor. Our aspiration is to be an attractive employer for all genders and cultures in line with the Volvo Group values.
The GTO International Manufacturing focus is to support the Sales & Marketing organization by being present with assembly operations in the local market when required, due to local country legislation. We operate some fully Volvo owned plants in South Africa, India, Australia and Algeria as well as a Joint Ventures in Saudi Arabia. We also support KD assembly worldwide together with Private Partners. Our industrial development team work close to all sales organizations investigating localization needs, both change in existing footprint as well as expansion to new markets.
The knock-down (KD) kits for the Volvo, Renault and Mack are provided in close cooperation with the platforms in Gothenburg, Bourg, Blainville and Macungie. Our task is to supply the local markets with the right number of trucks at promised delivery date with our high Volvo quality standards and at the lowest possible cost.
We have support functions located in Gothenburg, Umeå and Lyon in order to provide technical, logistical, Quality/VPS, HR and financial support and competence to the local KD plants.
Durban plant information
- The Durban plant is situated in Durban, South Africa and is a final assembly KD plant for Volvo Trucks. Currently we have approximately 160 employees and assembly about 2800 trucks per year
- Located approx. 40km south of the Durban city center in the Amanzimtoti region, 3km from the coastline
- Final assembly and delivery of Volvo Trucks
- Employees – 18 WC and 140 BC
- 1 shift operation
As Director Durban Plant, you will have the responsibility for the performance, deliveries and development of activities within your plant. You will report directly to the SVP International Manufacturing, Group Trucks Operations and be part of International Manufacturing team and Southern Africa Volvo Trucks Management Team. We are looking for a Plant Director who can engage, organize, lead and transfer our vision into day-to-day activities.
In a group that values quality, safety, environment, diversity and respect for the individual, the Director of the Durban Plant is above all an effective business leader. The position holder understands the complete chain of the business and is familiar with modern managing principles and techniques within a global organization. This includes broad knowledge of global manufacturing as well as good understanding of the commercial vehicle industry and business analyses.
With a real talent for cultural integration, and business analyses the Director Durban Plant holds a University/Master’s Degree or equivalent. The position holder demonstrate successful managerial, organizational, monitoring & review, and interpersonal & team building skills. As well as plant related manufacturing assembly processes knowledge in a lean manufacturing context.
The Director Durban Plant, will be an inspiring and inclusive leader as well as an active team worker.
- Provide on-site leadership to the Plant operation, motivation and direction through teamwork and communication at all levels
- Ensure the compliance with company and local policies, regulations and values
- Act as a worthy Volvo representative towards customers, suppliers and local authorities
- Set-up production resources, processes and safety and quality systems in order to deliver quality trucks in time, in a cost efficient way
- Secure that all manufacturing operations fulfill requirements in terms of safety, quality, delivery precision, cost, and employees engagement
- Manage production planning and capacity of the plant in full cooperation with the relevant GTO IM and GTO staff functions
- Drive VPS deployment and coach the teams towards a world-class delivery performance
- Grow further leadership competencies within the plant in order to secure efficient management and preparedness of organization for the future
- Participate actively in the management team of GTO IM and Southern Africa Volvo Truck Management
The ability to:
- Translate the vision, set the direction and follow up
- Understand and work with cultural integration
- Lead and manage change
- Drive implementation of local, regional and global initiatives
- Understand team dynamics and development
- Be communicative and create open dialogue
- Building trust and inclusion
- Work with Continuous Improvements and People Development
- Have a coaching approach and give honest and timely feedback
- Understand how to create a safety culture mindset
- Lead according to the Volvo Values and Code of Conduct
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required.
For further information please contact
Lars Langenius, SVP IM, phone +46 31 322 5450
Ann-Kristin Claesson VP HR IM, phone +46 31 322 2179
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.