One day we are going to hand over this planet to the next generation.
Volvo Group is on an amazing fast paced journey, with major technological advancements within vehicle automation, electromobility, and connectivity.
To be able to ensure continuous high investments in R&D the Volvo Groups profitability and turnover needs to be secured. This results in higher Intellectual Property intensity on the market, convergence between industries and many new challenges ahead. Do you want to be a part of it?
Thanks to the great work which has been done, and the great work which needs to be done in the coming years, we are expanding the Patents, Legal, Trademark&Design and the IP Strategy & Portfolio team in Volvo Group Intellectual Property.
Who are we, your new colleagues? What is our offer to you?
In Volvo Group IP we have three highly specialized and competent teams; Patents, IP Strategy & Portfolio and IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs with IP responsibility for the complete Volvo Group. The Patents team is global with locations in France, Korea, Sweden and the US. We are now looking for a Patent Attorney to join our highly skilled team in Gothenburg, Sweden.
The Patents team in Sweden currently comprises 7 colleagues which work in different technology areas. You will also be part of a cross functional stream team focusing on a specific technology area. The diversity in the stream team allows to efficiently use the strength of each team member. You will function as a patent expert in the stream team.
You will be located at Volvo Group Headquarters in Gothenburg together with about 35 colleagues in Volvo Group IP.
Patent Attorneys is an expert in matters relating to patents. Patent Attorneys are responsible for protecting inventions and obtaining patent protection, and challenging third party patent rights to leverage Volvo Group’s leading technology position. Patent Attorneys are also responsible for giving proactive advice to R&D projects, inventors and other stakeholders relating to proprietary and third party patent rights. You will also have responsibility to support and contribute in further development of IP services and processes.
The Swedish team including you, as well as the manager responsible for the global teams, report directly to the Group Director Patents. The position offers a global working environment with dedicated and professional colleagues.
You will also be responsible for:
- Handle IP generation / invention harvesting workshops and provide advice and guidelines on inventions, invention disclosures, patent protection strategies and proprietary as well as third party patent rights
- Support the Volvo Group patent creation process by drafting and prosecuting patent applications and defending Volvo Group patents challenged by third parties before a patent office
- Prepare and render patent-related opinion such as patentability, freedom to operate, including validity and infringement, opinions
- Provide advice on patent-related matters, such as patent opposition, appeal, freedom to operate, including validity and infringement, as well as classification and use of proprietary patent rights and portfolios
- Manage external IP firms in connection with patent related-services, including requirements, compliance with service items and quality of services and work products
- Provide input on the Volvo Group IP Plan
- Keep abreast of the development of patent law and practice of major jurisdictions
- Provide support, as applicable, to IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs and others, in contentious and/or enforcement patent matters, IP-related agreements and M&A matters
Who are you?
We don't know who you are yet, but one thing that is sure is that you have high integrity, strong personal credibility and a positive, co-operative can-do mindset. You thrive in a fast moving environment and multitask effectively. You also see things that need to be done before they've even occurred and are valued for your high energy levels which you always try to transfer to your colleagues.
If you are passionate about IP and creating value, then this truly is the position for you. We also believe you have:
Education and Experience
- Technical degree, i.e. Master of Science or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working as a Patent Attorney, experience as a consultant and in-house are both valuable to us
- Preferably you are qualified as a European Patent Attorney, or you are part qualified with the ambition to qualify. Preferably, you have at least a few years of post-qualification experience or relevant similar experience
- Expert knowledge of patent law and practice of major jurisdictions, including obtaining and defending proprietary patent rights and challenging third party patent rights
- Expert knowledge of rendering patent-related opinions, e.g. patentability, opposition, freedom to operate, validity and infringement opinions
Good English communication skills, both oral and written are essential.
What are you waiting for? The future is here.
We take responsibility for our future society and want you to be a part of it.
For further information, please contact:
Linus Eklund, Group Director Patents, +46 739 021 268
“At Volvo Group we are actively working to establish teams that will take maximum advantage of the strength inherent in differences in knowledge, experience, age, gender and nationality, etc. We find that well balanced working teams increases group dynamics, creativity and new approaches to solutions”.
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus, Sunwin Bus and Volvo Penta.
Volvo Group IP is organized within Volvo Group Trucks Technology which provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Areas with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.