Are You Looking for a Rewarding and Challenging Career?
At Volvo Penta, our employees know what it takes to make a team work! Being part of that team means that you’re working with a global and very diverse group of passionate, enthusiastic and highly-skilled professionals from all walks of life who work and play hard. We’re so awesome that we’ve won the ”Great Place to Work” award two years running as well as being named, ”Employer of the Year,” by Diesel Progress magazine! This is absolutely a great place to belong with folks ready to welcome you onboard!
Who Are We?
Simply put, we’ve been around for a while and we know a thing or two about being a world-leading supplier of engines and drive systems for both marine and industrial applications to thousands of customers worldwide. We’re world leaders and innovative pioneers.
The Product & Customer Support Department for Volvo Penta Region Americas (VPA)—headquartered in Chesapeake, Virginia—is responsible for technical support, warranty administration and customer relations for gasoline and diesel engine products for authorized OEMs, power centers, dealers as well as end users. Distribution of technical information, authorization of major warranty repairs, claim and registration processing, and resolution of customer issues are the primary functions of this department.
We are currently looking for a Key Customer Support Specialist to join our amazing team here in Chesapeake, dedicated to supporting industrial products with a focus on units imported from outside of North America.
What is the Job?
In this role, you will be a senior member of the Product Support team providing information regarding the application, troubleshooting, and repair of Volvo Penta Industrial engines and transmissions to industrial OEMs, Industrial distributors, key industrial dealers and internal Volvo Penta personnel. In this position, you will also be in a position to help the company develop and implement support processes for new technologies such as electro-mobility, connectivity, and remote diagnostics. Some of your core responsibilities will include:
- Respond to requests for information and provide advanced technical assistance via phone, eService, or on-site when required, to industrial OEMs, distributors, key dealers and internal VPA personnel to support customer satisfaction and business growth.
- Taking a leadership role and acting as a liaison between industrial OEMs, distributors and key dealers and Product and Manufacturing Engineering, identifying quality issues and providing data to resolve them through a quality case management process.
- Advising and assisting Industrial OEMs, distributors, key dealers and internal VPA personnel as to correct Volvo Penta Warranty policy and procedures and assisting with warranty claims requiring pre-authorization.
- Assisting with the creation and implementation of Service and OEM bulletins and campaigns, and promoting the use of Volvo Penta Partner Network (VPPN) and Argus case management.
- Providing specialized training to Industrial OEMs, distributors, key dealers and internal Volvo Penta personnel, as well as new hires within the Technical Support and Field Service departments.
This position will require some travel (25%) both domestically and internationally.
To be successful in this role, we need someone:
- Who has “subject matter expert” level knowledge of troubleshooting and repair of industrial diesel power products to include comprehensive knowledge of industrial engines and control systems.
- Who has knowledge, experience and certifications in the service and support of alternative powertrain technologies within a related industry such as electrification, hybrid, alternative fuels, and complementary systems related to connectivity, remote diagnostics, etc.
- With in-depth understanding of industrial trade practices and activities from direct experience, or extensive industrial distributor or dealer interaction.
- Able to work independently without direct supervision, and manage multiple objectives and cases at one time while also acting as a mentor to others within the department
As with Most Companies, You Also Need the Following...
- Strong experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook, and familiarity with database programs.
- You’ll be speaking with employees at all levels within and outside the company, so you’ll need excellent communication skills, including fluency in speaking and writing English.
We’re Looking for the Following Education and Experience:
- An Associates’ degree or Certificate in Diesel or Industrial Mechanics; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years’ industrial engine OEM, distributor, or dealer technical experience
- Strong mechanical expertise in troubleshooting, repair, overhaul and installation of industrial products
- Experience and certifications in the service and support of alternative powertrain technologies within a related industry such as electrification, hybrid, alternative fuels, and complementary systems related to connectivity, remote diagnostics, etc.
- Experience with Volvo Penta products is preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish, English/Portuguese), a plus
A Bit About Where We Live:
”Hampton Roads” is an eclectic mix of coastal, urban, rural, and historic communities that includes the cities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Hampton, and Newport News. Our test center marina is located on the water in Suffolk. We have beautiful beaches and state parks, and family-friendly attractions with Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and North Carolina’s Outer Banks within easy driving distance. The area is host to diverse dining and shopping experiences to suit anyone’s tastes. There are so many exciting things to do here in the area that we highly recommend you come and see it for yourself! You’ll also find excellent school districts and esteemed institutions of higher learning, including Old Dominion University and The College of William and Mary, among others.
We also offer:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Competitive compensation
- Generous Earned Time Off (ETO) plan
- 401K with matching
If you are interested in being part of a team focused on innovation and success, and feel that this opportunity is for you, we invite you to apply to become Key Customer Support Specialist-Industrial Imports with our team. We look forward to meeting you!
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. Printed copies may not be the most current. Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who works with passion, trust each other and embraces change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.