Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing, and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. We are committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions.
Our solutions to today’s global challenges are driven by our Mission of “Driving prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions” and our Vision “To be the most desired and successful transport and infrastructure solution provider in the world”.
Our Offer To You
Volvo Group offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic and team-focused environment in a company that is well known for its state-of-the-art company culture and benefits. Our culture is about how we interact with each other, our customers, and with society as a whole. It helps us to achieve our business objectives, is firmly rooted in our history, and is critical to our company’s long-term success. It is the foundation on which everything else is built.
Volvo Group is defined by a set of five carefully chosen values, which include Customer Success, Trust, Passion, Change, and Performance. These values are a major force in guiding our day-to-day behavior and drive our decision making at all levels of the organization. Our values are easy to understand, and yet fundamentally important. They express our shared beliefs across countries and entities to form the basis for a high-performing culture that can help maximize the full potential of the organization.
In Volvo Group Intellectual Property (IP) we have three highly specialized and competent teams: Patents; IP Strategy & Portfolio; and IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs - with IP responsibility for the complete Volvo Group. The Patents team is global with locations in France, Korea, Sweden, and the US. The Patents team works in different technology areas. You will also be part of a cross functional portfolio team focusing on a specific technology area. The diversity in the portfolio team allows for efficiently using the strength of each team member. You will function as a patent expert in the portfolio team.
We are now looking for a Patent Attorney to join our highly skilled team in Greensboro, NC, would you like to be a part of our team and join us on our journey?
What You Will Be Doing
Volvo Group North America is seeking a Patent Attorney, to be based at our Greensboro offices with experience identifying and obtaining patent protection for patent-eligible inventions, giving proactive advice to R&D projects, inventors, and other stakeholders, managing and supervising external IP firms in connection with patent related-services, providing support to IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs and others, in contentious and/or enforcement patent matters, and providing support for IP-related supplier/purchasing agreements, licensing agreements, and M&A matters.
You will also be responsible for:
- Handling IP generation / invention harvesting workshops and providing advice and guidelines on inventions, invention disclosures, patent protection strategies, and proprietary as well as third party patent rights
- Supporting the Volvo Group patent creation process by drafting and prosecuting patent applications and supervising outside counsel with the same
- Preparing and rendering patent-related opinions related to patentability, freedom to operate, patent validity, and infringement
- Providing advice on patent procurement-related matters such as patent opposition, appeal, as well as classification and use of proprietary patent rights and portfolios
- Providing input on the Volvo Group IP Plan
- Registered patent attorney in good standing with the USPTO
- JD and license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or at least 3-5 years’ patent experience in those fields
- At least 3-5 years’ patent experience, preferably in the automotive or trucking industry, experience with A.I. is a plus
- Ability to be self-taught and work in a range of different technical areas
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment
- Competitive base salary
- Solid group health benefits package (medical, dental, vision, disability, life, etc.)
- 401(K) with company match as well as additional contribution percentage
- Strong vacation benefits
- Volvo Group University for professional development
- Workplace Health and Wellness program
- Reimbursement programs
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.