The Volvo Group’s Digital & IT organization is looking for summer interns with a passion to demonstrate their academic knowledge in a practical setting. This internship will include the opportunity to:
- Play a temporary (but key) role in Volvo’s effort to create a more sustainable future.
- Work on a real-world business challenge within our U.S. manufacturing footprint.
- Team with (and get mentored by) Volvo employees with world-class training and experience.
- Interact in a culture where “best ideas win”
- Develop & present a working prototype by the end of your internship experience
Are you interested in helping shape the world towards a more sustainable future? Do you want to build upon your knowledge (your know) and develop real world experience (your know-how)? This internship provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment and to support/promote the graduate's career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The intern experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Group by working on important and innovation projects.
Responsibilities / Main tasks / Targets
Volvo Group’s Digital & IT organization is looking for students that have a concentration in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML).
On Day 1, you will be given a capstone project that includes a problem statement and a support team of permanent employees that will act as an advisory committee to help you be successful. You will be given approximately 12 weeks to deliver a working prototype and be given a platform to show off your results to the three main Volvo manufacturing facilities within the U.S. You will also be given the opportunity to network with other interns from other universities as you take this journey together. Although Volvo makes no commitment of permanent employment as a result of the internship, it does consider this program to be a significant talent pipeline where we seek out candidates that would be a good fit to join our permanent team.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- Good programming knowledge in R, Python, and SQL
- Practical experience in developing scripts for tools automation
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals and an appetite for systems thinking
- Good mathematical background with a strong orientation towards statistical thinking and multi-disciplinary optimization
- Knowledge of data science techniques, statistical analysis, modelling, and deep learning is preferred
- Ability to work in diverse teams and communicate technical concepts and results to a wide range of audiences
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts
- Knowledge of business analytics tools such as Power BI/Tableau to communicate insights is preferred
Minimum Education Requirements
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree Computer Science, Engineering Design, Mechanical Engineering or Applied Statistics at an accredited school, and have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Customer Focus
- Technical Skills
- Action Oriented
- Integrity and Trust
- Out of the Box Thinking
Duration & Expected Hours:
This position will require up to 40 hours per week from May 16, 2022 to August 12, 2022
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group IT manages the Group’s overall IT strategies and plans and has the end-to-end responsibility for all development, delivery, support of IT solution and services for the Volvo Group.
We are more than 6000 people based in 36 countries working in a completely global organization. We are a team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.