Who are you
You are an experienced Java backend developer with skills in Spring Boot, JMS, JSON, UNIX and relational databases. Any additional knowledge of connected applications is a bonus. We put the emphasis on who you are as a person and we believe that your personality is the major reason for you to succeed in this role.
We want to connect with curious minds that love innovation and are interested in the future of mobility. We are now looking for senior Java backend developers with an interest in developing software applications. You will be part of a small and diverse DevOps team that works in two-week sprints and in ten-week program increments. You will be part of the Core Services function within Volvo Group Connected Solutions.
This role will be ideally located on-site in Greensboro, NC with a hybrid schedule of onsite and remote work. Relocation is available. Remote options are available. An initial training opportunity will take place during first months of onboarding in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- As part of a DevOps team you will maintain and support existing systems
- Work with new development of connected services
- Interact with Business Analysts to gather and define requirements
- Analyze use cases for validity and feasibility
- Conduct impact analysis and create estimates
- Develop effective, defect free source code that meets business requirements and team standards.
- Contribute to technical alternatives for complex business problems and roadmaps.
- As part of maintenance and development work with test cases to verify code
- Participate and support in all levels of testing (System, Integration, Regression, Load, and Performance)
- Perform design review to help identify coding defects, discrepancies in requirements and help resolve issues with appropriate developers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Develop production support documentation and provide support for production issues
- Participates and supports release process
- Participates in the development and support of Deployment tools and standard procedures.
- Identify changes that make the system(s) more efficient and/or reduces operation or maintenance costs.
- Identify and contribute to the optimization and continuous improvement of group’s Way of Working
- Minimum of 5 years relevant IT professional experience from application development and maintenance/support.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members in different geographies.
- Excellent written (Business & Technical), verbal and listening communication skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- 5 years of experience with object-oriented programming
- 5 years of experience with hands-on Java programming including Spring Boot
- Java 11 and up, with proficiency on the following libraries and the concepts supported by them:
- Spring and Spring Boot
- Relational databases: Oracle and/or PostgreSQL
- Docker containers
- Test Driven Development
- Agile principles
- GIT source control
- Very well skilled in Java backend
- Skilled in Spring – xtra focus Spring Boot
- JMS – messaging
- DB skills (As basic skill RelDb – other skills a bonus)
- JSON skills
- UNIX skills
- Understanding of scalability and experience of load tests
- Understanding if Micro services architecture and Design
- AWS skills
- Experience of UDP, Binary SMS and sat-com
- Experience of ASN1
- Experience of Automotive industry and connectivity
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group Connected Solutions is a global organization that leads the development of Volvo’s connected services and solutions of tomorrow. We work at the forefront of connectivity by collecting and analyzing data from over 1 000 000 Volvo customer assets. The organization is set-up to deliver competitive offerings, shorten time to market and provide an arena for new service innovations together with customers, partners and the Volvo Group.
Come and visit us online!
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.