SML NA is searching for an Operations Manager, Central Distribution Center. This position is based in Byhalia, MS which is within 25 miles of Memphis TN
Who Are We?
Service Market Logistics (SML) is part of Volvo Group Trucks Operations (GTO). We are a global organization of 3,750 employees located in over 47 locations in 30 countries. Every day we deliver world-class operational excellence to our customers by applying smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage, and optimize the Service Market supply chain (aftermarket parts distribution to dealer network) for all Volvo Group brands and joint ventures.
To be successful in this position…you are a visionary and inclusive leader with a strong ability to influence and inspire others. You demonstrate strong courage to challenge and develop, and to have the ability of setting demanding targets while coaching individuals to deliver outside their comfort zones. We see that you truly embrace and live our leadership principles: to lead with passion, perform with purpose and transform with vision.
SML North America (NA) has over 1,200 employees across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our distribution network consists one Central Distribution Centers (near Memphis, TN as well as seven Regional Distribution Centers across the North American region.
We have an exciting opportunity for the right individual as an Operations Manager for our Central Distribution Center in Byhalia, MS. This Byhalia CDC is a 1.2 million square foot facility located approximately 25 miles southeast of Memphis, TN and employs approximately 630 employees. This position reports to the Director of the Byhalia CDC and is part of the site management team.
- Responsible for spare parts distribution at the Byhalia Central Distribution Center from unloading trailer, putting away, picking, and packing parts to loading trailers for transport
- Manage department(s) of both union and non-union employees
- This is not an office job. Expectation is to be on the shop floor 90% of the time
- Must have strong warehouse operations knowledge
- Ensure each supervisor and team leader meets his/her daily productivity, quality, and safety targets
- Ensure incoming parts are offloaded and put away efficiently and correctly, preserving the quality of the products, and the accuracy of stock and stock locations
- Ensure quality of packing and loading of parts destined to all Regional Distribution Centers throughout North America
- Meet customer satisfaction demands by ensuring spare parts are distributed according to the agreed service levels
- Ensure highest quality and packing precision of parts including correct part numbers, correct parts quantity, correct labeling and proper packaging
- Ensure outbound loads have a high fill rate and meet scheduled dispatch times
- Work with transport carriers by communicating and coordinating outbound loads according to dispatch schedules
- Develop and improve processes through continuous improvement
- Ensure all SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) are followed by all employees
- Hold employees accountable for absenteeism and tardiness
- Work closely with all CDC managers through continuous collaboration and coordination between departments
- Secure the planning and the performance of the operation to meet Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Environmental and People
- Set service level agreements with subcontractors and follow-up
- Lead the organization as an inspirational leader, engage and motivate teams through challenging targets
- Identifies gaps in existing systems and processes, proposing solutions that improve operational efficiency
- Attract good people, focus on performance management, training and develop talent
- Drive continuous improvement by rolling out the Volvo Production System (LEAN)
- Participate in process development and implement best practices
- Work with the designated security and safety manager to develop, implement and monitor all programs related to the security and safety of personnel, equipment and property
- Assure facility cleanliness, working conditions, and enforce 5S way of working
- Ensure all trainings related to equipment operation and safety, DOT Hazmat, and warehouse process are compliant
- Ensure safety targets are met and related legislation and policies are respected in the operation
- Ensure that environmental legislation and policies are respected in the operation
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (business, logistics or engineering preferred) and/or 5 - 7 years of equivalent experience
- 10 years of experience in warehousing and distribution, including at least 5 years management/supervisory experience
- Competence in supply chain management and warehouse management
- Effective managerial leadership skills, promoting positive coaching and mentoring of staff
- Demonstrated decision-making skills with ability to multitask
- Strong customer focus and high sense of urgency with ability to work under pressure
- Highly self-motivated with a track record for taking initiative and driving change
- Ability to lead and hold people accountable for daily results around safety, productivity, and quality
- Demonstrated ability to drive change, set demanding targets, and motivate teams and individuals to deliver results while creating a positive work environment according to Volvo’s Core Values and Code of Conduct
- Strong computer skills with MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Strong experience and knowledge working in Warehouse Management Systems
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English) with demonstrated leadership capabilities
Necessary functional/language skills
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
- Must be able to communicate efficiently and effectively within a multi-cultural and international environment
- Must be willing to travel domestically and Internationally (occasional)
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.