We are now looking for a Senior Buyer to join our amazing team in Chesapeake, Virginia. This is an exceptional opportunity to make a change while building experience with a skilled and ambitious purchasing team.
What is the Job?
As a Senior Buyer, you will be responsible for purchasing materials and parts from qualified suppliers that are used in the assembly of the Volvo Penta’s products. In addition, you will also have the responsibility of assessing the quality systems being used by the supplier to ensure that the end products manufactured by Volvo Penta meet or exceed our customer’s expectations. Some of your core responsibilities will include:
- Managing commodities in Castings & Forging area
- Working closely with Segment Manager to support Segment Strategy
- Ensuring development and implementation of assigned commodity strategies
- Managing the business relationships with suppliers (includes implementation of continuous improvement philosophy in quality and delivery areas)
- Leading and coordinating the MCL target for the commodity
- Ensure cross functional cooperation within Volvo Penta organization
- Participating in all new projects requiring the oversight and leadership of a formal Project Management team
- Preparing design and cost driver analyses and leading coordination of "concurrent engineering" activities
- Preparing strategic analyses of new plant and engineering initiatives (including supplier evaluation, negotiation of terms & conditions, as well as supplier recommendation and selection)
- Ensuring long-term agreement (NDA, Framework, Pricing, Warranty, and Quality) contract development and execution to secure the most favorable terms & conditions for Volvo Penta.
Are you GREAT at negotiating? You may have what it takes for this exciting role…
To be successful in this role, you will need to have excellent project and change management skills, as well as a basic understanding of all modern production processes and materials, supply chain operations and quality, collaborating with suppliers, and handling issues to a successful resolution.
When it comes to negotiating, we are looking for an individual skilled in negotiating favorable terms, conditions, and long-term supplier agreements that will result in strategic partnerships.
In addition, excellent communication and presentation skills are necessary as is the need for fluency in speaking and writing English in order to communicate successfully with internal and external stakeholders at different levels of the organization.
Education & Experience:
This position requires the following:
- Minimum of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in business-related or engineering field (preferable). Master degree preferred.
- 6+ years’ experience in a buyer position.
- 6+ years of production purchasing experience.
- Automotive purchasing experience, a plus.
We are an outstanding, values-driven work culture… and our work is challenging and rewarding! We were recently awarded “A Great Place to Work” certification two years in a rows, and our employees can attest that Volvo Penta is a great place to work! We experience relationships built on trust and respect, change and innovation, passion, exceptional performance, and a strong commitment to customer success!
We also offer:
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Competitive compensation
- Generous Earned Time Off (ETO) plan
- 401K with matching
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. Printed copies may not be the most current. Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who works with passion, trust each other and embraces change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.