PhD Research Scholar - Fuel Cell TechnologyAbout the program:
: To apply rich knowledge and research mindset and empower them to build rewarding and satisfying careers in the fields of transport and infrastructure.Structure:
Paid program of nine-month durationEligibility:
PhD Scholars registered with any university in India or abroad in a relevant academic discipline, currently employed or doing projects in specifically identified areas (Currently pursuing Ph.D).Place of Work:
BangaloreBe the part of Sustainable Development!!!
At Volvo Group Trucks Technology-Powertrain Engineering, we are working on all possible solutions to meet 2040 sustainability targets. Fuel Cell is one among the most promising technologies towards a Sustainable Future.. We have started to lay a big emphasis on how this technology can be applied for Volvo Group Trucks and more products in the future. We are currently looking for a PhD research scholar in the domain of Fuel Cell Technology.
Do you want to be part of a team where you get the chance to contribute to a better environment and sustainable future ?
Good, we are ready for you!What do we do
We are the System, Simulation and Analytics Team in Powertrain Engineering within Volvo Group Trucks Technology, a dynamic team working towards enabling the Technology organization in evaluating futuristic products and services for Volvo business units such as trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine applications.
The main tasks in our team are to meet our customer's expectation on quality, fuel consumption and to comply with future legislation & support the strategic development . This is done by selecting future Powertrain HW-components like Fuel Cell and calibrate related functions. Upcoming emission & CO2 legislation requires development of advanced control strategies together with an optimized hardware and software. You will be an important contributor in this development.
Powertrain is the heart of the Truck and is one of the focus areas within Volvo Group, which is at the forefront of sustainable transport solutions for tomorrow.
We are on a mission to unleash the unimaginable power of an innovative mindset.
Sound interesting. We want you to join us!What will you do
Job Requirements & Qualifications:
- Play a key role in the process of decision making for the specification of Fuel Cell System and components requirements including performance, mechanical and structural characteristics, thermal management and electrical/mechanical interfaces
- Contribute to the development of requirements on fuel cell at a system level and cascade them to the component level for all interfaces (cathode, anode, cooling and electrical) including safety, mechanical, structural and NVH requirements.
- Investigate the Lifetime / durability of Fuel Cell and evaluate advance materials for various subsystems of the Fuel Cell
- Support to develop, calibrate and validate models as required
- Network within the organization as well as outside for the latest technology developments and trends in industry while also monitoring market developments
- Collaborate closely with various internal departments / laboratories and universities
- Support fuel cell control development by providing guidance to software engineers on operating conditions and strategies
- Interpret test data and provide clear and insightful recommendations for further development
- Build and maintain technical relationship with Suppliers of Fuel Cell Systems and components
- A Master’s Degree holder pursuing PhD in a relevant discipline
- Strong understanding of electrochemical and physical phenomena in fuel cells
- Strong understanding of Fuel Cell as a complete system, Balance of Plant, performance
- Good understanding of fuel cell components and packs supply chain, and system level manufacturing processes
- Good to have experience on selection and integration of fuel cell system into automotive application
- Experience with modelling and simulation of typical fuel cell system components
- Cross-domain (thermal, electrical, electronics, structural, …) technical knowledge. Able to provide technical guidance to team members on what, why, and how
- Good to have experience with FMEA, DVP, ISO standards
- Flexibility to work with the different interface components (fuel, air, cooling)
- Good understanding of full electric powertrain technology (Battery, E-Machine, Inverter)
- Good Command on English Language (spoken and written)
- Highly motivated self-starter and team-player with very good communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment required with an open mindset
- PhD degree in Fuel Cell related science
- Master’s in automotive engineering / Chemistry
- Experience developing operating strategies and control algorithms for fuel cells
- Experience with fuel cell system packaging and integration concepts
- Experience with typical fuel cell system failure modes and degradation phenomena
- Cost engineering experience or understanding of fuel cell cost structure
- Ability to provide local and remote field site support/analysis for own project and help others