Service Market Logistics (SML) is part of Group Trucks Operations (GTO). We are an organization of approximately 4,000 employees globally in more than 40 locations. Every day, we are delivering world-class operational excellence for our customers, based upon smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage and optimize the Service Market supply chain for all Volvo Group brands and JV’s. The scope for Service Market Logistics includes Flow Optimization, Inventory Management, Distribution Center operations, Customs & Trade, as well as the development of logistics solutions to ensure the highest possible parts availability, delivery precision and quality everywhere in the world. We strive for an innovative and diverse workplace, exercising the Volvo Group values with high focus on customer success.
Are you passionate to solve problems by leveraging data? …and have fun along the way? Then come join our team for this excellent internship opportunity.Position Description Summary
The Transport Flow Optimization Intern position will be part of the Transport Flow Optimization (TFO) Americas team within SML’s Logistics & Service Development function. This intern will support the TFO team by building and enhancing transportation data analytics tools.Purpose of the Position
The TFO internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to promote the graduate’s career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Group Service Market Logistics by working on projects for the TFO team. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns and our full-time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Group Service Market Logistics.
The internship position is for the Spring of 2023, and the specific working days and hours will be flexible, but agreed upon with the hiring manager.Core Responsibilities:
- Leverage Power BI, Python / R and advanced analytics tools and techniques to visualize transport and other data in support of freight optimization and sourcing initiatives
- Support development of freight optimization toolbox, standard operation procedures, and processes
- Support freight data cleansing and visualizations
Essential Skills and Minimum Education Requirements:
- Weekly Writing Assignments: Brief written summaries of the learning experiences and project updates may be required.
- Project Presentations: Formal project presentations may be required to be presented to peers, management, and senior leaders within the organization.
- Performance Feedback: Throughout the entire experience, the manager will provide verbal and written feedback on work performance. At the end of the internship, each intern will be given a formal written evaluation based on their work performance.
Competency and Knowledge Areas:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in Supply Chain Management, Mathematics / Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Data Analytics or a related field, at an accredited school. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career in Logistics / Supply Chain Management, Data Science or a related field.
- Applicant must have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Teams, Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Applicants ideally will have experience with visualization tools (specifically PowerBI), programming (R/Python) and supply chain modeling.
- Applicants ideally will have knowledge of transportation networks and concepts
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient at learning new technologies
- Effective professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Action oriented
- This internship will require up to 30 hours per week during the Spring 2023 semester, with the specific working schedule to be agreed upon with the hiring manager