Are you an energetic and passionate analytical engineer? Does the opportunity to work on Diesel, Natural Gas, and Battery Electric Trucks excite you? Do you want to work for a global company in an industry that impacts everyday lives?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you! Volvo Group is seeking a CFD Analyst to join our Chassis Analysis and Advanced Calculation team in Greensboro, NC.
Read on for more details!Who We Are
Our team, Chassis Analysis & Advanced Calculation, is an important part of the Vehicle Engineering function for Volvo Group Trucks North America. The Advanced Calculation team is a dynamic team of highly competent engineers who specialize in various CAE disciplines. We are responsible for ensuring functional requirements are met for durability & reliability, thermal management and cooling performance for heavy duty trucks developed for North America.
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which are central our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance.
- We are obsessed with Customer Success.
- We initiate Change to stay ahead.
- We willingly place our Trust in each other.
- We have a huge Passion for what we do.
As a CFD Analyst, you will have the opportunity to work on Diesel, Natural Gas, and Battery Electric Trucks. You will work in a state-of-the-art research and development organization dedicated to providing high-tech transportation solutions primarily to the North American market. The position entails a high level of collaboration with cross-functional engineering teams working on future products, analyzing complex thermo-mechanical systems, and ensuring functional requirements are met by providing design recommendations.
You will be primarily responsible for evaluating various components and sub-systems, and running complete vehicle simulations to ensure cooling performance and thermal management requirements for North American products are met. You will work closely with various engineering teams i.e. chassis, cab, electrical & testing teams to coordinate and lead complex simulation tasks. You will interface directly with the Product Design team to evaluate exterior surfaces and provide feedback on improving the airflow characteristics to meet functional requirements. In addition, you will act as a technical leader in coordinating and driving design changes with various functional stakeholders.
Who You Are
- Conduct CFD analysis of components, sub-systems (e.g: heat exchangers, exhaust systems, air intake systems etc.) and complete vehicle under-hood thermal simulations.
- Conduct technical research, post-process and analyze CFD results, write engineering reports and provide design recommendations to identify and rectify potential design issue, and improve existing designs.
- Work with engineering, testing and project teams to plan, develop and coordinate test plans, provide instrumentation roadmaps, and interpret test data to make design recommendations.
- Synthesize information from a variety of resources (simulation/test results, technical requirements, historical data etc.) and identify areas of improvement for various functional aspects of heavy-duty trucks and form actionable technical recommendations for stakeholders across the engineering organization.
- Lead cross-functional engineering and CAE teams to rectify potential design flaws and drive solutions from concept stage to final production.
- Perform validation studies comparing CFD results to experimental data and improve current methodologies.
- Coordinate with global CFD/technical strategy teams on developing/improving simulation strategies.
- Own the analysis until there is an acceptable outcome from all project stakeholders.
You are a talented and customer focused individual that can effectively communicate with other component stakeholders across the whole organization to ensure that the components and systems meet the business targets. You have an exceptional capability to provide professional expertise as CFD analyst and are a thermal system expert and perform complex analyses, report results and recommend/drive design changes.
Education & Experience
- Master's Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- 4+ years of experience in CFD.
- Experience in automotive cooling airflow, thermal management and aerodynamics is considered a plus.
- Strong background in fundamentals of fluid dynamics, heat transfer and thermodynamics.
- Proven track record of validating and optimizing vehicle designs through use of CAE simulation tools.
- Experience with geometry cleanup skills in a commercial CAE pre-processing tool (e.g. ANSA, HyperMesh etc.) and building fully detailed CFD models for complex analysis types.
Compensation & Benefits
- 4+ years’ experience in use of commercial CFD software such as PowerFLOW, StarCCM or Fluent, and TaiTherm.
- Experience in 1D simulation tools such as GTSuite, Kuli or Amesim, Matlab/Simulink, etc. for flow calculations, especially running coupled CFD/1D simulations is a plus.
- Highly experienced in Linux OS and use of HPC systems for submitting and monitoring CAE jobs.
- Experience in shell/linux scripting to automate repetitive tasks is a plus.
- Practical hands-on experience with validation and experimental measurements including design of experiments.
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies.
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans.
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first.
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University.
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier.
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here.