Welder Job Purpose
Joins metal parts, and fills seams and holes of metal components. Follows sketches and specifications. Inspects equipment and structures. Follows and maintains knowledge of safety protocol.
Welder Job Duties
• Uses electricity and torches to produce heat and solder together components made from steel, titanium, copper, and other metals
• Welds small components like copper plumbing for residential use and large ones like pipelines for power plants or beams for
buildings and bridges
• Consults blueprints and sketches in order to execute jobs and tasks to specification
• Assesses equipment, structures, materials, and job specifications for appropriate welding positions and methods
• Monitors equipment for appropriate usage and temperature
• Maintains a thorough knowledge of universal standards and specifications in order to meet building codes and legal requirements
• Develops working knowledge of dozens of methods used for welding a variety of materials and components
• Operates specialised machinery for industrial welding or supervises robots that do the same
• Trims metal components using heat, fire, and electricity
• Takes apart and disposes of large metal objects like automobiles, ships, and other structures
• Monitors work environment for hazards and maintains healthy ventilation levels to avoid particle or gas inhalation
• Follows safety protocol, including wearing heat-resistant gloves, protective masks, and safety shoes
• Works in the construction or manufacturing industries
Welder Skills and Qualifications
Formal Training Through a Vocational or Technical School, Relevant Welder or Welding Fabricator Certifications, Ability to Read Blueprints, Knowledge of Chemistry and Metallurgy, Understanding of Electricity, Basic Computer Programming Knowledge, Attention to Detail, Manual Dexterity, Physical Strength, Physical Stamina, Spatial Skills, Technical Skills
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands - Volvo, Volvo Penta, UD Trucks, Terex Trucks, SDLG, Renault Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, Mack, Eicher, Dongfeng Trucks and Arquus.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.