Within the Commercial Packaging Engineering function, we are engaged in the life of a spare part, from the time it is created, bought, stored and finally delivered to the customer, We decide if and how the spare part should be commercially packed in order to secure quality, brand image, sustainability and customer satisfaction for the different Volvo Group brands. We work closely with product development, purchasing, sales organizations and warehouse operations in our daily work.
We use our passion for engineering to decide how and if a spare part needs individual packaging to arrive in mint condition to our customers around the globe. We use our communication and negotiation skills to work closely with the suppliers and buyers, enabling a lean supply chain and focus on customer success.
Mission/Purpose of the Position:
The Commercial Packaging Engineer position works in an agile team environment within the Americas Commercial Packaging group. The Americas Commercial Packaging team is part of the Logistics Preparation and Packaging department, within the Operations Excellence function for SML. We are on an automation and digitalization journey.
In this position, you will create trustful relations within and outside the Volvo Group, using leadership skills to deliver on our different tasks and to drive change. You will have a technical interest to understand our products and parts and the ability to translate that into a supply chain context. You will also have a commercial mindset, as we are involved in both the selling and buying of parts. There are approximately 30,000 new spare parts created every year, as well as several thousands of suppliers to interact with.
The Commercial Packaging Engineer will work with the Manager, Commercial Packaging Americas and the team to ensure that packaging decisions are made early in the development of a new spare part regarding whether or not the spare part should be commercially packaged, and that packaging requirements are included from the start of the sourcing process. You will manage cost-efficient and harmonized commercial packaging solutions that drive brand image, sales and customer satisfaction globally for all Volvo Group brands.
Scope & Influence:
You will report to the Manager, Commercial Packaging Americas and be located in Greensboro, NC.
The Essential Functions of your position will include:
- Participate in product development, to decide upon global commercial packaging solutions fulfilling Volvo Group branding, environmental, quality, cost and commercial requirements for spare parts.
- Develop and secure procurement of new solutions where no commercial packaging solution exists.
- Optimize commercial packaging cost in the total supply chain (for new and existing spare parts).
- As participant in product projects, responsible for ensuring commercial packaging decisions in the early project phases.
- Define cost targets for implementing commercial packaging by parts suppliers to safeguard positive impact on total cost.
- Support the Volvo Group purchasing organizations in negotiations regarding commercial packaging cost.
- Support suppliers and other stakeholders with know-how regarding commercial packaging.
- Act as the speaking partner for our suppliers to secure the optimal packaging.
- Take actions on feedback from stakeholders and adapt packaging engineering solutions to continuously improve cost, quality, and environmental care and create value for our customers.
- Develop new packaging materials and solutions with a focus on sustainability.
- Prepare and place orders for commercial packaging related investments (e.g. prototypes, clichés, etc….) within agreed frames.
- Actively work with continuous improvements utilizing the Volvo Production System, to reduce packaging cost, improve quality, increase customer satisfaction and improve processes, tools and work methods.
- Monitor PI’s and take appropriate actions to meet those targets.
- Act according to the Volvo values.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
The Minimum Education and Experience you will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Industrial/Packaging Engineering, Industrial Design, Automation and Mechatronics, Supply Chain or a related field; or equivalent experience
- Packaging operations, design or development knowledge, with a focus on commercial packaging preferred
- 3 years of service market logistics/supply chain experience preferred
- Continuous Improvement/Lean/Six Sigma/Problem Solving Methodology knowledge and experience is a plus
- Experience working with engineering CAD drawings
- Experience and understanding in the usage of logistics cost models
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently without direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a global environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced team environment striving towards operational excellence guided by Volvo’s Values and the Code of Conduct
You will also have the following Technical/Functional/Language Skills:
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively within a multi-cultural and international environment
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative to improve processes and procedures
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- High skills in building strong relationships and working well with other departments
- Strong cross-functional team player, with focus on customer service and quality
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications, CAD drawing tools (e.g. CreoView), etc….
- Volvo internal application (GPS, GLOPPS, RAPID, etc…) knowledge a plus
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
We Participate in E-verify
Nous souhaitons mieux vous connaître
Processus de candidature
Un email de confirmation vous sera adressé une fois votre candidature déposée. Il vous sera toujours possible de modifier votre profil.