Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing, and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. We are committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions.
Our solutions to today’s global challenges are driven by our Mission of “Driving prosperity through transport and infrastructure solutions” and our Vision “To be the most desired and successful transport and infrastructure solution provider in the world”.Our Offer To You
Volvo Group offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic and team-focused environment in a company that is well known for its state-of-the-art company culture and benefits. Our culture is about how we interact with each other, our customers, and with society as a whole. It helps us to achieve our business objectives, is firmly rooted in our history, and is critical to our company’s long-term success. It is the foundation on which everything else is built.
Volvo Group is defined by a set of five carefully chosen values, which include Customer Success, Trust, Passion, Change, and Performance. These values are a major force in guiding our day-to-day behavior and drive our decision making at all levels of the organization. Our values are easy to understand, and yet fundamentally important. They express our shared beliefs across countries and entities to form the basis for a high-performing culture that can help maximize the full potential of the organization.
To work with us is to work with some of the world’s most iconic brands, and to be part of a reputation that has been earned for over a century. It is our responsibility to honor that heritage and build an even stronger future for our company moving forward. Each of our individual actions collectively define who we are as a company and how the world sees us.
Would you like to be a part of our team and join us on our journey?What You Will Be Doing
The Senior Supplier Quality Plant Engineer (SQP) performs activities in order to improve suppliers’ quality performance in serial production. You will secure the Salem, VA and Dublin, VA plants regarding supplier quality issues (in cooperation with concerned SQP’s at other plants), having responsibility to support and drive the suppliers’ quality improvement plans. You will work to continuously improve the quality of suppliers to reduce/eliminate disturbances at the local plant leading to an increased FTT.
The Senior SQP is tasked with following appropriate processes as outlined in the Business Management System, manuals, and instructions covering the purchased parts delivered to the Dublin, VA and Salem, VA plants. If the non-conforming material is used in any one of our other assembly plants, the Senior SQP will drive the corrective actions from the supplier for these plants as well, in cooperation with concerned SQP’s in the other sites.
You will report to the Head of Supply Network Quality Plants, and be based primarily out of Dublin, VA, with frequent support of our Salem, VA plant location.
In addition, you will:
What We Are Looking For
- Support production in the resolution of supplier related quality issues. Communicate with suppliers for resolution of non-conformances and ensure corrective actions are implemented effectively and in a timely manner
- Coordinate containment actions in Salem, VA or Dublin, VA plant and/or at suppliers, coordinating inspection and sorting as needed, in cooperation with logistics/planning safeguarding replacement deliveries if needed
- Participate in cross-functional root cause analysis activities
- Have daily contact with suppliers regarding supplier quality related issues
- Own a portfolio of roughly 250 suppliers
- Follow up on supplier submitted 8D-reports to ensure root cause is identified, and robust corrective actions are implemented by the supplier in accordance with Volvo Supplier Quality Assurance Manual requirements
- Review and identify suppliers' manufacturing risks and opportunities for improvement
- Report and follow up on deviations for serial production parts, including initiating, follow-up, and closure of deviation report requests. Take appropriate actions at suppliers to prevent reoccurrence.
- Attend Part Handling Review and Supplier Day Meetings
- Follow up on supplier performance to decide appropriate supplier quality improvement activities based on trend analysis, e.g. 8D follow up and/or 8D training, Process audits, Low Performing Supplier, etc.
- Monitor suppliers' KPI performance and react accordingly
- Collect and evaluate experience and knowledge from overall business, lessons learned, to avoid repeated mistakes or failures
- Occasional travel to assigned suppliers (approx. 30%), typically on short notice, to perform audits and ensure compliance with quality standards
- 3+ years of supplier quality or production quality experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Proficient in quality validation tools such as PFMEA, control plans MSA, SPC, and PPAP
- Strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to teach and facilitate problem solving activities with suppliers and internal stakeholders
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to inspect and measure parts for dimensional accuracy, fit, and functional operations using inspection equipment and tools including calipers, micrometers, digital equipment, etc.
- Ability to create networks and lead cross-functional activities within multi-cultural teams
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, or similar, or equivalent working experience
- Comprehensive health benefits
- 401(K) with company match, as well as additional automatic company contribution
- Culture with a passion for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for all
- Aggressive approach to Sustainability
- Flexible work environment
- 5 - 6 weeks of annual vacation
- Global organization with expansive career growth opportunities
- Volvo Group University for professional and personal development
- Workplace health/wellness, and reimbursement programs
- Onsite fitness center, physical therapy, cafe, pharmacy, and health clinic
- Would you like to dig deeper into some of the above topics? We invite you to continue your exploratory journey here!