Are you an energetic and passionate engineer skilled in durability and reliability testing methods? Does the opportunity to work with some of the sharpest and most creative brains in the transport and infrastructure industry excite you? Do you have an interest in being a part of developing cutting edge technologies and sustainable transport solutions that will change the future of society?
If so, we have a great opportunity for you! We are currently seeking a Durability Test Engineer to join our Durability and Reliability Testing Team (D&R). This role will sit in Greensboro, NC working in our start-of-the-art research and development environment dedicated to providing quality transportation products to the North American market.
Read on for more details!Who We Are
Our team, Durability & Reliability is important part of the Group Trucks Technology (GTT) Complete Vehicle business area for Volvo Group North America. GTT is responsible for providing state-of-the-art research, engineering, product planning and project execution through final delivery of complete products; we also support the products in the aftermarket. In the Complete Vehicle function, we are dedicated to ensuring quality and the customer voice is reflected in our products. Durability & Reliability is focused on validating and evaluating the strength and fatigue of our products via physical and virtual testing. This includes data collection on our proving ground in Greensboro, hydraulic strength and fatigue testing, accelerated endurance testing, virtual method simulation, and corrosion/material testing.
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which are central our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will Be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance.
- We are obsessed with Customer Success.
- We initiate Change to stay ahead.
- We willingly place our Trust in each other.
- We have a huge Passion for what we do.
As a Senior Durability Test Engineer, you will work in a challenging and fast-paced environment, gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of validation and verification engineering. You will work directly with product engineering as well as other D&R Test Engineers. Highlights of this position include system and component fatigue testing, full vehicle data acquisition and analysis, design of custom-made transducers and hydraulic rigs, as well as work on defining future testing needs related to emerging technologies.
- Work with the Features Group to identify the verification needs of the durability feature to define test requirements.
- Analyze test results (physical and virtual) and provide timely and high-quality results.
- Document results, compile engineering reports, and propose enhancements together with the technology areas.
- Prepare and manage fault reports from tests.
- Manage road maps, maintenance requirements, and functionality of specific equipment.
- Work with the global network to ensure D&R is aligned with other sites.
- Mentor/train other test engineers. Be an example of others in the group to reflect Volvo Core Values.
This position will report to the Durability and Reliability Group Manager.Who You Are
You are an experienced Engineer with a strong understanding of Durability and Reliability. Your strong technical skills combined with your drive for action help you excel as an individual contributor. You like developing strong relationships with your peers and providing mentorship to other test engineers. You are customer focused and enjoy the opportunity to be a part of ensuring the optimal customer experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering; Master’s Degree preferred
- 5-8+ years of related experience
- Experience in the transportation/automotive industry
- Knowledge of durability/structural principles
- Proficiency in CAD, specifically rig and fixture design
- Familiar with hydraulic actuators
- Experience with R&D testing in a lab environment
Compensation & Benefits
- Experience with structural analysis and fatigue prediction
- Proficiency PTC Creo
- Familiar with electrodynamic actuators
- Proficiency in Python or a similar program
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here