IEEE Time-sensitive networking (TSN) standards are the extension of the IEEE Ethernet standards to support high-bandwidth and low-latency real-time communication. TSN standards are promising solutions to be applied in various real-time domains, for example the automotive domain . Designing dependable real-time networks based on TSN standards requires various analyses that must be performed, in terms of behavior, timing and scheduling.
As TSN provides various features, including the credit-based shaper, time-aware shaper, preemption, clock synchronization, etc, configuration of such networks is a challenging task. Each configuration can provide a benefit depending on the use case. In this thesis work, the student(s) will investigate the effects of various configuration modes  on the overall performance of the network based on an automotive use case. The work should be done experimentally on real hardware by setting up the use case in industrial settings (on site at Volvo CE), configuring the network, performing experiments and analyse the extracted data from the measurements. The final goal of the thesis work is to demonstrate the use case based on TSN network in a real-time environment at Volvo CE in Eskilstuna.
Task and eventual goal with the thesis work
- Identify needed hardware and set up the automotive use case demonstrator.
- Perform experiments on different configuration settings for TSN.
- Analyze measurement data.
- Main deliverables include the demonstrator, a report on configuration, a final report of the experiments and measurements.
- Investigating and demonstrating the impact of various configurations in TSN on the network performance.
1-2 master students.
30 credits thesis (ECTS).
- Each candidate should have a bachelor’s degree and is now completing his/her master's degree, ideally majoring in computer science, embedded systems, communication or similar.
- The candidates should have good programming knowledge on C/C++.
- The candidates should have good knowledge of real-time systems and embedded systems.
Provided by VCE:
- Work environment on site at Volvo CE, including hardware and real-time embedded environment.
- Hands-on insights from the machinery industry.
- Availability of an industrial supervisor for weekly meetings, preferably on Volvo CE.
- Might be a great step forward in future career in computer science, embedded systems, or computer communication.
- Remuneration for the thesis work.
Sara Andersson. Senior software engineer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
 M. Ashjaei, L. LoBello, M. Daneshtalab, G. Patti, S. Saponara, S. Mubeen, Time-Sensitive Networking in automotive embedded systems: State of the art and research opportunities, Journal of Systems Architecture, Vol. 117, 2021.
 M. Ashjaei, L. Murselović and S. Mubeen, "Implications of Various Preemption Configurations in TSN Networks," in IEEE Embedded Systems Letters, doi: 10.1109/LES.2021.3103061.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Construction Equipment is a global company driven by passion, curiosity and by our purpose: to build the world we want to live in. We believe that only through imagination and teamwork can we develop a world that is cleaner, smarter and more connected. Our company culture reflects this belief through the care and trust it places in our customers, employees and suppliers. People are at the heart of our business. It is through our strong network of talented, enquiring and innovative minds that we have been able to pave the way towards a more sustainable future. The global construction industry is our arena and our employees are our greatest assets.
We can only continue to stand out as industry leaders through the people driving us forwards. Come be a part of our team and help us build tomorrow.
Nous souhaitons mieux vous connaître
Processus de candidature
Un email de confirmation vous sera adressé une fois votre candidature déposée. Il vous sera toujours possible de modifier votre profil.