The Onsite Technician role is the local representation of Group IT for a specific business production facility. In this role, it is critical to work together with regional and global colleagues to deliver new and upgraded infrastructure for business solutions and the end-user IT environment. This includes, but is not limited to, hosting platforms (typically x86), Windows OS, LAN (wired and wireless), Windows enterprise client solutions for office and factory, personal mobility, and specialized factory devices such as bar code scanners, forklift mounted hardware and specialized printing technology. These technologies are highly standardized in Group IT business practice, and much of the work is conducted according to standard processes and methodologies. According to Standard Operating Environment (SOE) specifications, most server and network hardware are configured typically throughout Volvo’s global network.
This position performs analytical, technical, and administrative work to support local end-users, remote end-users, and production lines. Additionally, this position utilizes global processes to achieve the results. The IOS Onsite goal is to achieve total end-user satisfaction for technical issues by possessing exceptional customer service skills, willingness to travel & work overtime, and most importantly, work as a team.
- This is a second shift position
- Normal working hours are expected from 15:00-23:30
- Depending on business conditions/demand, working hours of daily shift may move one or two hours later.
Group IT has end-to-end responsibility for all development, delivery, and support of IT solutions for the Volvo Group.
Infrastructure and Onsite Services (IOS)
Group IT – Infrastructure and Onsite Services is a global unit consisting of approximately 1200 employees and consultants in most Volvo Group’s locations. The mission of the IOS unit is to ensure that Volvo businesses are provided with the right end-user tools and services at the agreed quality and to an optimal cost. At factories, warehouses, and small sites IOS also facilitates infrastructure demand liaison and delivery execution for IT services through local presence and in partnership with global providers.
Onsite Americas is a regional function consisting of more than 100 employees and consultants in all Americas. This function is responsible for onsite deliveries in this region, working in close co-operation with other IOS and Solution Delivery Unit functions.
- Deliver and Support infrastructure solutions required by the business and according to Group IT service and product standards
- Perform delivery and support work according to standard methods and processes
- Execute time-critical support of industrial IT solutions
- Collaborate with global support technicians in troubleshooting and resolving infrastructure and end-user problems, in addition to using all available resources such as personal skills, vendor documentation, and online knowledge bases
- Use delegated authority from global operations teams to manage local infrastructure solutions
- Proficient in general network design and troubleshooting from a connected device perspective
- Provide continual communication/feedback to end-users to understand their requirements and setting the appropriate expectations.
- Install and configure Client systems (Hardware, software, applications, communications, printers, and peripherals)
- Install, configure, and support various handheld barcode scanning devices
- Install, configure, and support specialized barcode printers
- Have a good understanding of LAN connectivity (wired & Wi-Fi) in support of existing infrastructure
- Assist PC Users in utilizing PC applications for office & factory automation and solving business problems.
- Perform scheduled/unscheduled upgrades to machines to maintain a safe & secure network due to O/S vulnerabilities and virus outbreaks.
- Image & configure new and existing machines to end-user expectations
- Deploy new computers to end-users by transporting equipment via handcart and personal/company vehicle in which lifting up to 50 lbs. is involved.
- Ability to produce documentation for Knowledgebase solutions
- Rotational on-call support
- Participate in global projects that have an impact on the local business, as needed
- Other duties as assigned by Onsite Manager
- Is dedicated to delivering customer value
- Has ability to build effective relationships
- Has solid communication skills
- Work patiently with end-users who are frustrated and need issues to be resolved quickly or helpful guidance with using the solutions
- Is open to change and enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks
- Pursues tasks with energy, drives and has a need to finish
- Broad IT background
- Has fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Experience in Cloud technologies a plus
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Information Systems, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
- Ideally, at least 5 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Five years of IT experience preferred.
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment, manage multiple clients, and provide consultative skills throughout the process.
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated with a strong sense of urgency.
Qualified Applicants will not require employer-sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
Volvo Group IT manages the Group’s overall IT strategies and plans and has the end-to-end responsibility for all development, delivery, support of IT solution and services for the Volvo Group.
We are more than 6000 people based in 36 countries working in a completely global organization. We are a team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
The journey begins! An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile by login in to your account. The hiring team will review your application together with the hiring manager. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with information about the following steps.