Are you engaged in your work, professional in everything you do and prepared to go that extra mile?
If yes, then Volvo Group Trucks Purchasing (GTP) is the right place for you. GTP provides competitive advantages to the Volvo Group by selecting high performing suppliers to deliver the best possible products and services with the right quality output that add real business value for our customers.
GTP is located in over 50 sites around the world in 22 countries, with approximately 1,360 employees and a yearly spend of 143 BSEK (approx. 14 BUSD). We have over 23,000 supply network partners globally that support the delivery of parts, goods, equipment, and services to the Volvo Group every year, and our team is a critical part of the infrastructure that provides mission-critical support to the flow of these parts, goods, equipment, and services. We are a global team working with pride, breaking new ground, and capturing the latest innovations as well as supporting the brands and safeguarding Volvo Group synergies. We work together with speed and agility, collaborating regularly and cross-functionally with our internal stakeholders and disciplines, as well as with our suppliers.
We like to work hard, have fun, and we are committed to our customers and the Volvo Group success. You will work with a high-performing team aiming at world-class results – do you have what it takes?
We are recruiting a Legal Counsel
to the GTP Legal and Compliance Department
to be located
in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Legal Counsel’s main focus will be to provide support to GTP’s operations and our colleagues within GTP. The successful candidate will report to the Head of Legal & Compliance within GTP. The work will require traveling from time to time, although not extensively.Main Activities and Responsibilities
What We Are Looking For
- Provide professional legal advice and support to the daily business operations, which will include drafting and negotiating many different types of contracts, such as purchase and supply agreements, IT agreements (e.g., SaaS), software licenses, real estate leases, and research/development agreements
- Provide legal support with respect to disputes and threats involving suppliers or other external entities that impact GTP
- Provide support with respect to subjects that relate to the day-to-day GTP business areas, sometimes taking a lead role and other times acting more as a liaison between our business stakeholders and other subject matter experts, both inside and outside of the legal function. Subjects might include, by way of example only, intellectual property matters, supplier distress, insolvency and reorganization matters, customs, export control, and environmental compliance matters.
- Prepare and conduct internal training on legal and compliance topics, with such offerings to be available to relevant internal business stakeholders
- Prepare and update template agreements
- Cooperate with legal counsel colleagues around the world on legal matters and projects, including procurement of external legal resources
- Dispute resolution management in different forums including mediation, arbitration, and litigation. This includes management of external counsel and approval of invoices.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school. A member in good standing of any State bar within the United States.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant legal experience as a licensed attorney in a law firm, or as an in-house counsel or equivalent legal position in a company or corporation
- High proficiency in drafting and negotiating complex international contracts together with solid experience and knowledge in contract law, commercial law (e.g. U.C.C. and CISG), and intellectual property law
- A drive to learn, develop, and contribute to the success of Volvo Group and of the GTP legal team
- Distinctive problem-solving skills with a focus on Volvo Group’s commercial interest
- Inquisitive, professional, accountable, and proactive with a “can do” mindset, with a willingness to continuously improve
- Ability to work independently and in teams, with colleagues of different cultures and backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent command of English language
- Flexible and adaptable to work on a broad range of legal matters
- Exceptional skills in time management and organization with the ability to balance and prioritize matters in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Competitive base salary
- Company bonus
- Comprehensive health benefits
- 401(K) with company match, as well as additional automatic company contribution
- Culture with a passion for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for all
- Aggressive approach to Sustainability
- Flexible work environment
- 5 - 6 weeks of annual vacation
- Global organization with expansive career growth opportunities
- Volvo Group University for professional and personal development
- Workplace health/wellness, and reimbursement programs
- Would you like to dig deeper into some of the above topics? We invite you to continue your exploratory journey here!
It cannot be overstated that Volvo Group places a premium value on quality, safety, environment, diversity and respect for the individual, and the successful candidate will be expected to have impeccable personal credibility and integrity.
The successful candidate should thrive in an environment with varying work tasks, enjoy taking a lead in projects, be comfortable being actively involved in management dialogue and decision-making, and be comfortable networking across a diverse client base and building relationships across geographical areas.
We are actively working to establish groups that benefit from the strengths inherent in differences in knowledge, experience, age, gender and nationality, etc. We find that well-balanced working groups increases group dynamics, creativity, and new approaches to solutions.
We offer a global working environment with dedicated and professional colleagues, good personal and professional development, career opportunities and mobility. We like to have fun at work!