Service Market Logistics (SML)
is part of Group Trucks Operations (GTO)
. We are an organization of approximately 4,000 employees globally in more than 40 locations. Every day, we are delivering world-class operational excellence for our customers, based upon smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage and optimize the Service Market supply chain for all Volvo Group brands and JV’s. The scope for Service Market Logistics includes Flow Optimization, Inventory Management, Distribution Center operations, Customs & Trade, as well as the development of logistics solutions to ensure the highest possible parts availability, delivery precision and quality everywhere in the world. We strive for an innovative and diverse workplace, exercising the Volvo Group values with high focus on customer success.
SML North America (NA) is a part of SML and has about 1,000 employees across the United States, Canada and Mexico. We operate the Central Distribution Center in Byhalia, MS as well as Regional Distribution Centers across the NA region. The Byhalia CDC is a 1.2 million square foot facility located approximately 25 miles southeast of Memphis, TN and employs approximately 630 employees.Mission/Purpose of the Position
The Labor Relations Representative position is part of the Labor Relations team at the Byhalia Central Distribution Center (CDC). The Labor Relations function is responsible for assisting the operational leadership with maintaining and improving operational efficiencies in compliance with the collective bargaining agreement, while promoting a positive working relationship with the union and blue collar workforce. You will work closely on a daily basis with both management and the union on issues pertaining to all aspects of labor relations.
The Byhalia blue collar workforce consists of 300+ employees and is represented by the United Automobile Workers (UAW) union.Scope & Influence
This position reports to the Manager, Labor Relations and is located in Byhalia, MS.Essential Functions
Minimum Education and Experience
- Ensure consistent administration of the collective bargaining agreement, policies, rules of conduct, procedures, etc.
- Provide advice and guidance to management/supervision regarding labor relations issues, including operational problem-solving, adherence to the collective bargaining agreement and development of a productive working relationship with the union.
- Work closely with union representatives to maintain a strong and effective relationship.
- Provide labor relations training (contract, grievance handling, investigations, etc.), as well as policy and procedure training as necessary.
- Administer the Rules of Conduct and disciplinary program.
- Guide all levels of management regarding the grievance procedure, including timely processing of grievances.
- Ensure grievances are administered correctly and timely.
- Participate in grievance meetings as required.
- Collaborate with other Labor Relations and HR professionals regarding labor relations matters.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current labor and employment laws.
- Provide consultation and support regarding staffing/talent selection and training development.
- Work on continuous improvement through the Volvo Production System.
- Act according to the Volvo Values.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Necessary Technical/Functional/Language Skills
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Business Administration or a related field, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of labor relations experience required, preferably in an industrial environment. Warehouse/distribution experience a plus.
- Labor contract administration and grievance resolution experience required.
- Demonstrated history of building and maintaining positive working relationships between management and union.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced team environment striving towards operational excellence guided by Volvo’s Values and the Code of Conduct.
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service focus
- Ability to effectively influence and negotiate
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively within a multi-cultural and international environment
- Ability to effectively present ideas and information, both oral and written
- Must possess basic knowledge of labor and employment laws and regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Internally motivated and proactive
- Excellent computer skills, (Microsoft Office applications and the Internet)