Are you interested in developing new technologies for advanced transport solutions? Does the opportunity to work in a global organization on an exciting journey towards a sustainable future excite you? Would you like to work in an enthusiastic and collaborative atmosphere surrounded by highly skilled colleagues to learn and share knowledge?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you! Chassis & Vehicle Dynamics Engineering in Greensboro, NC is seeking a Senior Geometrical Architect – Chassis Architecture
to join our team.
Read on for more details!Who We Are
Our team, Chassis Architecture, is a part of the Chassis & Vehicle Dynamics Engineering function within Volvo Group North America. We develop and maintain components, systems, and complete chassis solutions for diesel, electric and autonomous vehicles for Volvo Trucks and Mack Trucks in the North American market.
We are a team of highly motivated and skilled engineers who supports a cross-functional team in resolving packaging and geometry issues between different commodities. Our jobs are crucial for driving issue resolution and making sure that our offerings meet the expectations of our customers. The team works on component placement, system-level validation, media verification, and assessments of augmented and virtual reality.
Together with us, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals. We have a strong culture based on our company values, which are central to our work. We believe in a work environment where:
What You Will be Doing
- We constantly strive for outstanding Performance.
- We are obsessed with Customer Success.
- We initiate Change to stay ahead.
- We willingly place our Trust in each other.
- We have a huge Passion for what we do.
As a Senior Geometrical Architect, you will support the cross functional geometrical work to optimize the diversity of the layouts versus the total variant offering to cover the customer needs and applications.
You will be involved in project pre-studies and early feasibility assessments for new applications and technology. Key deliverables for the Senior Geometrical Architect include space allocation and packaging concept feasibility in early phases, key chassis interface definitions (GICs), optimization of component locations and clash free geometrical packaging.
You will collaborate closely with design teams, Aftermarket and Manufacturing Engineering for validating and industrializing the designed solutions.
Who You Are
- Support packaging meetings and the geometrical work forward in an efficient way.
- Drive weight improvement initiative activities for Chassis Engineering
- Keep the CAD modules weight updated for Chassis components
- Present Chassis level impact on weight using target and reference vehicles in the project
- Propose solutions for complete offer scenario/packaging to meet application and customer requirements.
- Analyze and propose common solutions that can support all brands to minimize part numbers and maximize common parts (Common Architecture & Shared Technologies).
- Perform pre-study packaging analysis, present consequences, and propose the way forward.
- Contribute to improve our process, methods, and tools so we can perform even better in the future.
- Involve in geometry verification plan (virtual builds, physical builds B/C, DMU structure) to improve CAD maturity & quality
You are a highly technical engineer with a strong understanding for vehicle architecture. You are action-oriented and understand the importance of meeting deadlines. You appreciate collaboration and sharing difference of opinions while always keeping the focus of the customer. You strive to contribute to improving processes, methods, and tools to ensure the team performs even better in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5-8+ years of product development experience
- A firm understanding of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing philosophy and applications
- Complete vehicle and/or Chassis knowledge
- Experience with CAD (PTC Creo preferred)
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams to communicate and agree on the designs for assembly, cost, sourcing, and aftermarket servicing
- Project management experience is a merit, as is excellent written and verbal communication skills
Compensation & Benefits
- Class 8 heavy duty truck development
- PTC Creo experience
- Experience with Volvo PDM system KOLA
Are you ready to join our team and shape the future of the transportation industry together with us?
- Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off including paid caregiver and parental leave policies
- Competitive matching retirement savings plans
- Working environment where your safety, health and wellbeing come first
- Focus on professional and personal development through Volvo Group University
- Programs that make today’s challenging reality of combining work and personal life easier
- Want to learn more about these programs? Continue your exploratory journey with us here