Intern: Hagerstown Rotational Program (Summer 2019)
The Volvo Career Advancement Program (VCAP) is a summer program opportunity for graduating high school seniors who will be entering college in the fall to gain experience at Volvo Group Trucks Operations in Hagerstown. The VCAP opportunity gives students a chance to learn about Volvo and career opportunities here for their future. Volvo gives students a unique opportunity in the manufacturing atmosphere allowing them to gain cross functional experience. Ultimately the goal of VCAP is to give students an opportunity allowing them to use classroom education in the real world before starting college. By doing this, students get to have a small taste of what a career would look like in the area of study they may be interested in pursuing.
VCAP students will have the opportunity to shadow managers and those in leadership in the Volvo plant. VCAP students are not interns and will not be given specific projects or tasks but instead will be shadowing and learning from managers and leaders within the facility. The value in shadowing is being able to experience every aspect of the plant and specific roles that will be shadowed. This gives an overall, big picture to students looking to follow these career paths.
- Paid summer program opportunity for 2019 GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS from high schools in the following counties: Washington County, Maryland, Berkeley County, West Viriginia, and Franklin County, Pennsylvania, who will be entering college in the fall of 2019.
- Provide local talented students the option of Volvo as a future place of employment and brand Volvo as an employer of choice.
- Offer students exposure to the manufacturing atmosphere and opportunity to gain cross functional experience.
- This intern role provides students with the opportunity to shadow leaders at the Volvo plant and learn about Volvo and career opportunities here in the future. This opportunity also allows them to use their classroom education in the real world before starting college.
- 40 hour/Monday-Friday paid shadowing program
- Students will be shadowing for two weeks in three of our product lines. These include Engine Product Line, Machining/T300 Assembly Product Line, and AMT/Axles Product Line. Functions include production, engineering, quality, and supply chain. An evaluation will be completed by each manager after working in each assigned area.
- Student will prepare a final presentation of lessons learned, what experience they received from this program, and any suggestions for improving the program. This will be presented to their respective managers, directors, and Human Resources.
VCAP is a 6-week rotational program for graduating high schools students to gain experience in multiple aspects of business or engineering. VCAP is a 40 hour/5 days per week paid shadowing program. Students are expected to be able to fulfill this requirement in order to apply for the position. The timeframe for this program is June 17th – July 26th, 2018.
- Must be 18 years old by June 17th, 2019
- Must have graduated in 2019 from a local high school (Washington County MD, Franklin County PA, or Berkeley County WV)
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Interested in Engineering/Manufacturing
- STEM students preferred, but not required
- Application Materials
- 400-600 word essay explaining why the student is interested in the program and the student’s future areas of interest
- Show proof of acceptance (letter of admission or enrollment status) into an accredited university after graduation
- 30 minute interview with Human Resources
- IT Applications
- Microsoft Office
**Please contact your local high school counselor for more information**
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.