Group Manager, Lab Maintenance
Within the laboratory we are responsible for the durability and performance test platforms for our powertrains, and the verification testing of our products. We fulfill the laboratory and verification requirements for today and shape the testing needs for the future. Today we are testing and developing diesel engines, transmissions, axles, and verifying complete powertrains in trucks. In addition we have a strong focus on preparation for the future to meet regulatory, customer and e-mobility requirements. Part of that future includes the construction and operation of a chassis dynamometer facility with emissions and climate capability. Management in the laboratory will be leading product development and verification technology, while developing and empowering our people.
Responsibilities / Main Tasks
The Hagerstown Verification and Testing Group is responsible for the operation, calibration, maintenance and upgrades/installations of the Powertrain Laboratory, plus the verification and validation testing of powertrain components and complete powertrains. The Verification and Testing group, located in Hagerstown, MD, is part of the 250 member Powertrain Engineering organization located in both Hagerstown, MD and Greensboro, NC.
As Manager, Lab Maintenance, your responsibilities will include
- Provide supervision and direction to Engineers in group, working together to fulfill maintenance requirements
- Work with and provide direction to Skilled Trades facility maintenance department to ensure Product Engineering needs are addressed and required resources are available
- Manage preventative, predictive and reactive maintenance of facility and Laboratory
- Review testing and operational efficiency and understand how to apply continuous improvement and support those identified activities
- Identify, implement and maintain safe work practices and tools / equipment to ensure safety
- Build and Maintain operational (expense) budget, and support creation of capital budget for various project installations
- Provide support for and lead lab upgrade projects, both definition and implementation
- Work with local and global lab community to understand and implement appropriate maintenance methods and procedures.
- Administrate overtime and time off
- Manage recruitment process for vacancies, and evaluate applicants for open job positions
- Monitor the training and skill levels of the individuals within the group and organize and/or conduct appropriate training, to improve efficiency and quality of the group output
You are a proven leader with a strong will to deliver results and develop teams. You possess a positive “can do” attitude. You drive accountability for yourself and those within your organization. You have a passion and understanding for combustion engines, drivelines, the testing environment and facilities. You embody collaboration, trust and continuous improvement to deliver excellence. You have the courage to challenge the known and welcome new ideas, and you make recommendations and decisions to deliver the highest quality. You are a champion for safe work practices and employee development. You inspire innovation within your team and you are flexible in addressing new challenges to continuously optimize solutions. You can balance between strategic plans and short-term activities. You are comfortable in taking difficult decisions, dealing with uncertainties and standing up for the values of our company.
Qualifications of the successful candidate include
- BS in Engineering is preferred
- Communicative with good influencing skills and are results oriented
- You have a proven leadership experience. Minimum of 5 years applicable experience, working in a union environment preferred
- You are well experienced in lab infrastructure maintenance, especially considering tests cells, test cell support systems and building systems
- Understanding of HVAC systems, water cooling towers, electrical distribution, building automation systems and predictive maintenance a plus
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.