Intern: Health & Safety (Summer 2020)
Dedicated to quality, reliability, and total customer satisfaction, Mack Trucks, Inc. has provided its customers with innovative transportation solutions for more than a century. Mack Trucks, a member of The Volvo Group, is one of North America's largest producers of heavy-duty trucks. Part of Volvo’s Group Trucks Operations (GTO), the Macungie facility is one of 50 plants globally dedicated to the manufacturing of trucks. MACK® vehicles are sold and serviced in more than 45 countries worldwide. Mack manufacturing locations are certified to the internationally recognized ISO 14001 standard for environmental management systems. Mack is also a proud sponsor of Share the Road, an American Trucking Associations' public information campaign aimed at enhancing the safety of our nation's roadways.
7000 Alburtis Road
Macungie, Pennsylvania 18062
The purpose of this internship is to allow the student/intern to prepare for their future by applying what was learned during coursework (theory, skill development, professionalism) to the working world. Interns will be provided extensive hands-on experience in the field of Safety and Environmental roles. The intern will work on important and innovative projects alongside our experienced professionals.
- Under direct supervision, performs basic and routine duties in a wide range of environmental, health and safety disciplines to achieve compliance with the HSE standards along with federal, state and local regulatory requirements
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of safety and health programs, systems and procedures within the ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 Management Systems
- Assists in monitoring hazards that may be present in the work area
- Works with others to investigate accidents, injuries and complaints concerning hazards in the workplace
- Works with Ergonomics Team to develop and implement solutions to workplace ergonomic concerns
- Participates in recommending improvement in processes, design, procedures and equipment to minimize hazards
- Participates in employee training, emergency preparedness and assures the quality of programs
- Assists in maintenance of training records, required inspections and data collection and input for environmental reporting
- Attention to Detail: Monitoring adherence to standards and actively checking for accuracy of data received or generated before passing it on
- Communication: Listening effectively, transmitting information accurately and understandably, and actively seeking feedback non-defensively
- Dependability/Reliability: Following through on commitments, producing timely work to required -- or higher -- standards, pitching in to get the job done
- Flexibility: Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Self-starter; works independently; takes initiative
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in Excel, Power Point and Word
- Ability to react to issues impacting production with a sense of urgency, promptly assessing the issue and developing a feasible action plan and following it through to successful completion
- Thrives in a team-based environment
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Must be currently pursuing a degree and remain fully enrolled in an ABET accredited 4 year college or university during the duration of the internship
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Occupational Safety & Environmental Health or related field
- Must have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours prior to the start of the internship. Junior or senior preferred.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We want to get to know you
An email confirmation will be sent as soon as you submit your application. After this, it is still possible to update your personal profile.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted with information about the following process steps: second interview, assessments and references.
All candidates will be notified when a final candidate is selected for the job. You can choose for us to keep your resume in our database and activate a search agent that will look for other jobs that match your profile.
When you begin your employment, you will receive an introduction to help you quickly become part of the team and start working with your tasks in the best possible way.